"Santa Cruz - An Eccentri - City" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz by karenincalifornia
Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 288 reviews and 637 photos
Santa Cruz is not short on character. When my husband and I spent a weekend near the town, we found constant sources of amusement. Not just in terms of things to do - and there is a variety of that - but also in terms of the people. So many people in Santa Cruz march to their own drummers, if you know what I mean. They would be misfits in other places, but here in Santa Cruz, they add color and pretty much are accepted in an already screwball beach town.
We saw homeless people having philosphical debates with each other (possibly ex-UC Santa Cruz professors who had one too many mushrooms in their younger days), people sleeping in their cars near the beach, people with strange obsessive-compulsive disorders (like obsessing over house flies or spots on wine glasses), homeless arguing with the local police but not being arrested (kudos to the police for not getting abusive), and pedestrians apparently on a suicide mission as they darted in traffic in downtown Santa Cruz. On the other hand, we met people who were engaging and friendly (but very possibly belonging to the other categories of Santa Cruz people as well).
Santa Cruz is so retro, which may be why it is a magnet for people who are living in their own world, without a real care about "fitting in" with the current 2006 world. The retro flavor of the town is very much part of its endearing charm.
In how many places can you still find Bulgy the Whale? He's there on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Talk about retro. Did this amusement park ride every bring back memories for me! (No, I am not talking about last year.)
Santa Cruz is entertaining, to say the least. It is full of college students and Gen-Xers at night. It also served as a good base for exploring wineries and hiking in the mountains for oldsters like my husband and me.
- Pros:Entertaining, some excellent restaurants, party atmosphere, plenty to do
- Cons:Too much traffic, overdeveloped, foggy and cold in summer
- In a nutshell:A quirky California beach town with whacked out people
If you take Skyline Drive between Half Moon Bay and Big Basin Redwoods State Park on your way to or from Santa Cruz, you... more travel advice
Fog is present on the coast of northern California pretty much from June to September, with some clear days mixed in... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Santa Cruz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best Beach Action in Northern California"
- "Santa Cruz - Beaches, Surfing and Pot"
- "Santa Cruz - An Eccentri - City"
- "Santa Cruz Area"
- "Santa Cruz"
- "Santa Cruz, California"
- "Ultimate Day Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Cruz
- Hotels in Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Santa Cruz
- Nightlife in Santa Cruz
- Restaurants in Santa Cruz
- Shopping in Santa Cruz
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Cruz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Cruz
- 19 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Cruz
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Big Basin Redwoods State Park"
- Wrote a Review Thomas Fogarty Winery in Santa Cruz Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Santa Cruz Travel Page "Santa Cruz - An Eccentri - City"
- Commented on one of matthieuxjames's Santa Cruz travel pages
Photos in Santa CruzSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue