San Rafael Warnings Or Dangers Tips by karenincalifornia Top 5 Page for this destination
San Rafael Warnings and Dangers: 30 reviews and 33 photos
Healthy coast live oak
Sudden oak death has killed hundreds and has infected thousands of tanoaks and coast live oaks in Marin County and surrounding counties. The culprit is Phytophthora ramorum, a relative of the fungus that caused the Irish potato famine.
At this time, there is no known cure.
It is recommended that after hiking, bicycling or driving through the hills, you wash dirt and mud from shoes, bicycles and cars before leaving the area.
Miller Creek in January
Winters in San Rafael usually get quite a lot of rain. Trails that were dry in the summer are often muddy and wet in the winter.
This creekbed is completely dry in the summer. Now, in January, it is practically a flood zone.
Happy New Year Sweets
Jessicadf sent me this candy recipe:
Take dried cherries, wrap in marzipan candy dough and dip in chocolate. Mine got caught in today's hailstorm as they were sitting outside to set, so I redipped them in white chocolate. The streaked white chocolate candies are Jessicadf's. Thanks Jessica and Happy New Year!
Poison Oak warning in San Rafael, CA
We have poison oak all over the place in Marin County. This is something you do NOT want to experience. If you venture off the trails or fire roads, there is a good chance you will come across poison oak, particularly in the damper, forested areas. You can't always depend on a sign like this one warning you of this danger.
If you come in contact with poison oak, wash the contacted skin area off with soap and water as soon as possible. That might avert the burning rash.
China Camp, San Rafael, CA
Actually 3 words.
Don't do it!
Our ecosystem in the open spaces of San Rafael is very fragile. Damage and scars caused by foot traffic or mountain bikes off designated trails and fire roads take years to repair.
See link below for more information on the type of damage the area has suffered.
Cow block in San Rafael
There are some parts of San Rafael that are so rural they use cows to set up traffic stops. I advise declining the field sobriety test if they insist upon it.
More Reviews (47)
- See All Stand up Paddle (SUP) at China Camp
- See All Stand Up Paddle (SUP) from Buckeye Point
- See All Even more extreme than San Francisco
- See All Italian Street Painting Festival
- See All You might find that LP you've been...
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
San Rafael Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Rafael CA"
- "Once upon a time this was home sweet home"
- "San Rafael - Hub of Marin"
- "A week in San Rafael"
- "A little HAWAIIAN in San Rafael"
- "A Little Bit of Hawaii - VT Luau, July 26, 2003"
- "Loony Lu'au and a Weekend to beat all."
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Rafael
- Hotels in San Rafael
- Transportation in San Rafael
- Nightlife in San Rafael
- Restaurants in San Rafael
- Shopping in San Rafael
- Warnings and Dangers in San Rafael
- See All...
Explore the World
- Wyoming Hotels
- Kvaløya Hotels
- Kingston upon Thames Hotels
- Karacasu-Geyre Hotels
- Udaipur Warnings and Dangers
- Genting Warnings and Dangers
- General Security Advices
- Curaçao Warnings and Dangers
- Mississippi Warnings and Dangers
- Zagreb Warnings and Dangers
- French Polynesia Warnings and Dangers
- Geelong Warnings and Dangers
- State of Western Australia Warnings and Dangers
- Saskatoon Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in San Rafael
- 53 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to San Rafael?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Rafael
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- Wrote a Review Stand up Paddle (SUP) at China Camp in San Rafael Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stand up Paddle (SUP) at China Camp"
- updated a San Rafael Travel Page "San Rafael CA"
- Commented on one of Martin_S.'s San Rafael travel pages
Photos in San RafaelSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest San Rafael hotel reviews
- Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael-Marin County/Conference Center
- 244 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- North Bay Inn San Rafael
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Four Points By Sheraton San Rafael
- 240 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- San Rafael Mission- 3 Reviews, 6 Photos
- China Camp Park- 4 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Farmer's Market- 3 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Marin County Center- 3 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Looney Lu'au- 7 Reviews, 7 Photos
- San Quentin State Prison- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Muir Beach- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Marin County Fair- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Martian Civic Center- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Rafael Theatre- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
See All San Rafael Things to Do