"Former Home of the Grateful Dead . . ." Rancho Olompali State Historic Park by karenincalifornia
Rancho Olompali State Historic Park Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 17 photos
Olompali State Park is located just north of my home in San Rafael, California (Marin County). The State Park system (with their very limited funding) is doing their best to promote this as a heritage site of the Coastal Miwok Natives who have lived here since 500 A.D. (or 1300 A.D., depending on the source of information). Not to minimize the historical importance of this site, its more recent history is equally fascinating. However, the California State Park system doesn't give this more recent history quite as much play as the Miwok story, which is understandable.
Are you a rock music fan? Do you love that whole era of the birth of rock, the 60s music, the psychedelic sound, the folk music and the Woodstock scene? If so, you'll enjoy the history of this State Park. It isn't just an ancient Native American historical site. Oh, it is so much, much more....
Come and take a hike with me and learn about the "Other History" of this State Park....
Olompali State Park (before it was given that name) is the former home The Grateful Dead. Donald Crawford McCoy, a star player on his college's water polo team and a Navy veteran, established a hippie commune here called "The Chosen Family". Children of The Chosen Family attended a "Not a School" run by a pot-smoking nun.
With a visit the park, you can clearly imagine all this happening here. It's a trip.
How to get here....
New speedway boogie or down the black muddy river.
Or take the Olompali exit off Highway 101.
- Pros:Groovy, far out, former happening hang out of the strung out and famous, an uncrowded place - good for a commune
- Cons:Not enough emphasis on the rock 'n roll karma
- In a nutshell:There's a lot more to this place than just a couple of Miwok crash pads
At one time, Olompali was one of the most significant Miwok communities. Thousands of Miwoks lived in the area. As many... more travel advice
When you summit Mount Burdell at the nose-bleeding elevation of 1558 feet, the first thing you'll note is it looks... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Rancho Olompali State Historic Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Former Home of the Grateful Dead . . ."
- Create a Rancho Olompali State Historic Park Travel Page
- Things to Do in Rancho Olompali State Historic Park
- Restaurants in Rancho Olompali State Historic Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Rancho Olompali State Historic Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rancho Olompali State Historic Park
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Rancho Olompali State Historic Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rancho Olompali State Historic Park
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- updated a Rancho Olompali State Historic Park Travel Page "Former Home of the Grateful Dead . . ."
- Uploaded a Photo to "By Choice..... or Not?"
- Wrote a Review By Choice..... or Not? in Rancho Olompali State Historic Park Local Customs
Photos in Rancho Olompali State Historic ParkSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue