"Olema - Doorway to Point Reyes National Seashore" Olema by karenincalifornia
Olema Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 32 photos
Olema, at the entrance of Point Reyes National Seashore, is 20 minutes from my home in San Rafael, California.
Point Reyes is unspoiled, untamed and unsurpassed in natural beauty. Hiking trails are abundant through forests, down to the coastline and along the beaches. Quaint little coastal towns dot the area.
The wildlife is incredible. You will be treated to sights of tule elk graze in the fields, and in the winter you may very well see whales during their yearly migration.
Olema is a tiny coastal town on the eastern side of Point Reyes National Seashore in west Marin County, California. This National Seashore doesn't get the same kind of attention as some of our other national parks in our state, such as Yosemite, but in so many ways, the beauty of this seashore easily matches the beauty of the mountains.
On the beaches, you might see sea lions or harbor seals. At low tide, the tidepools will display their beautiful starfish, sea anemones, crabs, and other marine life.
Whether you are backpacking, camping, or staying in an inn, Olema is a perfect place to stay for a week.
- Pros:Secluded, good access to seashore activities, away from the crowds
- Cons:Can be foggy in summer, but don't let that stop you - just be sure to bring a sweatshirt!
- In a nutshell:Classic west Marin with astounding beauty
A great beach to visit is Limantour Beach. This is a wide sandy beach with the very soft silky sand - perfect for... more travel advice
If you prefer a campsite away from the sometimes severe conditions of the Northern California coast, a good option for... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Olema Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Olema - Doorway to Point Reyes National Seashore"
- "Point Reyes National Seashore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olema
- Hotels in Olema
- Transportation in Olema
- Nightlife in Olema
- Restaurants in Olema
- Shopping in Olema
- Warnings and Dangers in Olema
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olema
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Olema?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olema
Photos in OlemaSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue