"Olema - Doorway to Point Reyes National Seashore" Olema by karenincalifornia

Olema Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 32 photos

Welcome to My Backyard!

Olema, at the entrance of Point Reyes National Seashore, is 20 minutes from my home in San Rafael, California.

Point Reyes is unspoiled, untamed and unsurpassed in natural beauty. Hiking trails are abundant through forests, down to the coastline and along the beaches. Quaint little coastal towns dot the area.

The wildlife is incredible. You will be treated to sights of tule elk graze in the fields, and in the winter you may very well see whales during their yearly migration.

How to get there

Olema is a tiny coastal town on the eastern side of Point Reyes National Seashore in west Marin County, California. This National Seashore doesn't get the same kind of attention as some of our other national parks in our state, such as Yosemite, but in so many ways, the beauty of this seashore easily matches the beauty of the mountains.

Experience Point Reyes' natural beauty...

On the beaches, you might see sea lions or harbor seals. At low tide, the tidepools will display their beautiful starfish, sea anemones, crabs, and other marine life.

Whether you are backpacking, camping, or staying in an inn, Olema is a perfect place to stay for a week.

• Pros:Secluded, good access to seashore activities, away from the crowds
  • Cons:Can be foggy in summer, but don't let that stop you - just be sure to bring a sweatshirt!
  • In a nutshell:Classic west Marin with astounding beauty
  • Last visit to Olema: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 31, 2006

• May 8, 2007 at 10:49 AM

I found this beach on accident yesterday evening. What a wonderful little place and a gem of a find!! I love the elk on the way to the beach. Simply incredible!

• Feb 3, 2006 at 8:04 AM

I see, that's a nice area for mountain biking!

• Robbie330's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 2:24 PM

superfantastic pages karen! thanks a million for sharing all these great pics and comments. cheers from new york city.

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2005 at 11:07 PM

Great page, what a beautiful place! I'd like to see the harbor seals.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 3:55 PM

Karen these were nice tips, I love the coastline pictures though, very rugged in some, it looks beautiful the dark green versus the deep blue sea colors :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2004 at 8:54 AM

Years ago I had some great hiking trips in this area. Glad to see it is still so unspoiled.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2004 at 9:39 AM

You are an excellent photographer, Karen. Your photos are just gorgeous. Greetings from Florida.

• May 25, 2004 at 9:19 PM

Karen, your phtography is superb.Sitting in India I have reached Olema..Congrats.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2004 at 5:22 AM

I visited Marin County way back in 1991 on a windy April's day. Does the "Earthquake Trail" still exist? Beautiful travel pages!

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2004 at 8:58 PM

Great info . I too, enjoyed all the small "villages" along the drive, and now I know the name and origin of the long "lagoon" that was on my left as I drove north up to the "Point". You live on some of the most beautiful turf in this country!

karenincalifornia Visits Here Frequently!

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Olema