"Novato, California" Novato by karenincalifornia
Novato Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 85 photos
Although some locals will take issue with this description, Novato, California is mainly a bedroom community of San Francisco. It has a population of over 47,000, but has a relatively small commercial base for its population size. The few substantial businesses, like Firemen's Fund and Birkenstock's US headquarters, certainly cannot employ the entire town. Many people living in Novato head south to San Francisco to work and shop.
Although Novato is the town immediately to my north, I used to come here only for limited purposes - shop at Target (but only when I was mentally prepared for the crowds and long lines), get my car washed at Matt & Jeff's (they donate eScrip to schools!), or drive through town on my way to Indian Valley Golf Course.
Lately, in Novato, I have been exploring places I have overlooked. Novato has some beautiful hiking and mountain biking trails outside its developed areas. When I get away from the development and head for the hills, frankly, I'm surprised that I haven't spent more time here.
Out with the old, and in with the new...
- Pros:Terrific hiking and biking, lots of open space, great weather (usually)
- Cons:Too homogenous (but even that is changing), shortage of fantastic eateries (but that is changing too)
- In a nutshell:A city/town still struggling to find its identity, but definitely worth a visit
I used to have a tip posted here with words of praise for Novato's Kitchen Restaurant. I've erased that because we went... more travel advice
Marin County is made up of 19 separate public school districts. Like the rest of Marin County, Novato strongly supports... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Novato Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once was my home and now it's home again"
- "Novato, California"
- "OLOMPALI STATE PARK"
- "Novato VT BBQ with friends"
- "And the Marin Tour '04 continues on...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Novato
- Transportation in Novato
- Nightlife in Novato
- Restaurants in Novato
- Shopping in Novato
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Novato
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Novato?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Novato
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- updated a Novato Travelogue "Hiking in Mount Burdell Open Space Preserve"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Novato, California"
- Wrote a Review The restaurants in Novato are improving in Novato Restaurants
- Commented on one of Martin_S.'s Novato travel pages
Photos in NovatoSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue