Napa Restaurant Tips by karenincalifornia Top 5 Page for this destination

Napa Restaurants: 74 reviews and 140 photos

Domaine Chandon Restaurant, Yountville, CA - Napa

Domaine Chandon Restaurant, Yountville, CA

Domaine Chandon: Special Occasion Dining

The Domaine Chandon restaurant is located at the Domaine Chandon winery located in Yountville, just north of Napa. The restaurant is beautiful inside and features local dishes, with an Asian or French flair.

The chef is new to Domaine Chandon, having just arrived 6 months ago (around March 12 - a very auspicious date). We were told the restaurant was sort of falling off, but the new chef has added innovative dishes and thus, the place has been turned around.

Favorite Dish: I had a curried carrot salad, which was delicious and a sauté of chantrelle mushrooms and gravenstein apples with lentils in smoked onion jus.

The dish was very creative, but on the small side. My husband ordered king salmon with fava beans and his portion was very small, too. Apparently the new chef doesn't know that California cuisine is passe.

We would have loved the restaurant if the portions were larger, but we kind of felt like we didn't get what we paid for.

Comparison: most expensive

• Updated Feb 27, 2005
Angele Restaurant, Napa, CA - Napa

Angele Restaurant, Napa, CA

Angele: Dine on the Napa River

On our last afternoon in the wine country, we stopped at Angele in Napa for lunch. Angele is perched right on the Napa River. The view isn't as spectacular as it sounds - the other side is industrial, but the spot was pleasant and it was nice to sit outside.

Favorite Dish: The menu is French and everything we ordered was delicious. I ordered a selection of cheeses and a glass of wine. My husband ordered a bowl full of mussels. For dessert we split a banana tartan with vanilla ice cream that was out of this world.

While we were eating the chef came up to us. At first, I thought "Well, isn't this nice. The chef himself wants to make sure we like his food."

The chef asked us if we had just been to France. I said no, but told him we had just been to Italy. I was hoping that having just been to Italy would qualify me as an interesting person.

Apparently not. The chef mumbled something and left. He discovered that it was the couple next to us who had just returned from France, and they chatted up quite a storm. Oh well. *I* thought Italy was interesting and that's all that matters.

Anway, I digress...

The food at Angele was very delicious. I recommend this restaurant. If you just got back from France, you might get extra special treatment.

• Updated Sep 7, 2004
Big bowl full of mussels, Angele Restaurant, Napa - Napa

Big bowl full of mussels, Angele Restaurant, Napa

Angele Restaurant: Bowl full of mussels

Favorite Dish: My husband ordered mussels at Angele and got this huge bowl of mussels cooked in a delicious broth. He said they were excellent.

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Written Sep 7, 2004
Cheese and figs at Angele, Napa - Napa

Cheese and figs at Angele, Napa

Angele: Perfect wine country lunch fare

I'm such a cheese lover, I could eat cheese three times a day. Pictured here is my ideal lunch - cheese, figs and nuts. This was served at Angele Restaurant, on the banks of the Napa River.

• Written Sep 7, 2004
Entree at Domaine Chandon - Napa

Entree at Domaine Chandon

Domaine Chandon: My portion at Domaine Chandon

My sauteed mushroom dish was beautifully prepared, but it was not filling!

Comparison: most expensive

Price: US$41 and up

Rating: 3

Theme: Eclectic/International

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Written Sep 6, 2004
View of Napa Valley from Auberge du Soleil - Napa

View of Napa Valley from Auberge du Soleil

Auberge du Soleil: Casual deck with delicious food and a view

We were riding bicycles along the Silverado Trail on the east side of Napa Valley, and wanted to stop somewhere for lunch. We were in the mood for a place with delicious food and a view. We also needed a place that wouldn't throw out sweaty bicyclists.

We stopped at Auberge du Soleil, a Relais & Châteaux property (hotel and restaurant). We were not disappointed. The food was delicious, the view was spectacular, and we were not thrown out. We were asked if we made it all the way to the hotel without getting off our bikes. We were honest and said we cheated, but they served us anyway.

Favorite Dish: I wanted something very light and vegetarian, so I ordered artisan cheese and a glass of pinot blanc. My husband ordered fried calamari and a glass of pinot gris.

The deck is for casual dining. The restaurant also includes a formal dining room, which requires reservations.

Address: 180 Rutherford Hill Road, Rutherford, CA

Phone: 800-348-5406

Price: US$21-30

Theme: Local

Website: http://www.aubergedusoleil.com

• Written Sep 6, 2004

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Napa