Napa Favorite Tips by karenincalifornia Top 5 Page for this destination
Napa Favorites: 28 reviews and 41 photos
ZD Winery during the crush, Napa Valley
Favorite thing: One of the most exciting times to visit any wine region is during the Crush. This is an approximately eight week period in late summer/early fall when the grapes are harvested, separated from their stems, crushed and strained. This is one of the busiest and most taxing times of year for the wineries. Despite the strain, most wineries readily put out the welcome mat for visitors. Some will even host special events like open houses at their wineries.
Another reason for the taxing nature of the crush season for the vintners is the need to choose the right time to harvest the grapes. The ideal time is extremely precise and the day may differ each year. The harvesters must harvest the grapes when they have exactly the right amount of sugar content.
Fondest memory: In 2004, we visited Napa during the first weekend of September. The Crush had begun in California in August and was still going strong when we were there.
In this picture, taken at ZD Winery on Silverado Trail in Napa Valley, you can see the heavy equipment that is used to separate the grapes from the stems and leaves. As we watched the activity, a ZD employee came out to let us sample the chardonnay grapes. They were delicious! They are sweeter than table grapes because the high sugar content is necessary to insure proper fermentation.
More Reviews (19)
- See All Stand up paddle (SUP) on the Napa River
- Annual River Festival in Napa
- See All Bowl full of mussels
- New meaning for the term "General Store"
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Napa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE CALIFORNIA WINE COUNTRY"
- "Napa Valley - A Wine Lover's Paradise!"
- "Napa Valley"
- "Spectacular Napa!"
- "Napa: Gateway to America's Premier Wine Region"
- "Wine... wine... and more wine!"
- "The Creation of The Peruvian Wrap"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Napa
- Hotels in Napa
- Transportation in Napa
- Nightlife in Napa
- Restaurants in Napa
- Shopping in Napa
- Warnings and Dangers in Napa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Napa
- 20 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Napa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Napa
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- updated a Napa Travelogue "Stand up paddle (SUP) on the Napa River"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stand up paddle (SUP) on the Napa River"
- Wrote a Review Stand up paddle (SUP) on the Napa River in Napa Things to Do
- Commented on one of Herkbert's Napa travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sterling Vineyards- 7 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Robert Mondavi Winery- 8 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Napa Wine Train- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Rutherford Hill Winery- 3 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Niebaum-Coppola winery- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Napa Valley- 8 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Opus One Winery- 3 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Silverado Trail- 2 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Beringer Vineyards- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Downtown Napa- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
See All Napa Things to Do