"Lassen Volcanic National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Lassen Volcanic National Park by karenincalifornia

Lassen Volcanic National Park Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 344 photos

California's Hot Spot

Lassen Peak is one of the dormant volcanoes in the Cascade Mountain range, which extends from Mount Lassen in California up through the Oregon and Washington to Mount Garibaldi in British Columbia. Because of Lassen's recent eruption during World War I, the landscape in the park is eerily diverse with its old-growth forests, clear mountain streams and lakes, bubbling mudpots, sulphur vents and hissing fumaroles.

• Pros:Rarely crowded, good weather in summer, beautiful scenery, good access to volcanic activity
  • Cons:No really suitable bike routes, main road has narrow shoulders and lots of blind turns
  • In a nutshell:A good lesson in geology and botany, the Park provides a lot a good information
  • Last visit to Lassen Volcanic National Park: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 11:59 PM

What a lovely area this is, one I have only just found on vt! We love camping also, and that campground we would love, but minus the Bear for company!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 3:02 AM

We did not do any hike in Lassen (except Bumpass Hell) as we had so much to visit in the West that we could not visit in depth. We should have staied in California longer !

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2006 at 8:59 AM

Beautiful photos of this unusual, rugged and scenic landscape! It must have been fantastic hiking up the trail to the peak of Mt. Lassen. Great information on this National Park.

• Royal63's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 11:10 PM

I'm so glad you went there! I have never been to Lassen. Would love to one of these days!

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2006 at 1:21 PM

What a beautiful park... I hope I can visit Lassen Volcanic someday... and I won't forget the chili

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2005 at 7:55 AM

I really like Lassen. It is underrated in my opinion. So bears don't like chili? :) From now on this will be my diet when we're hiking in California.

• icyjo24's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 8:59 AM

Truly a place to learn geology.... it's definitely on my wishlist...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 3:29 PM

Nice hiking tips and photos. And I like your definition of "roughing it." (Somehow I missed this park when I was living in California.)

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 6:11 AM

That bottle of Chardonnay and Ceasar salad sounds delightful after a gruelling day in Bumpass Hell! It's nice to have some less frequented National Parks that still have all the amenities.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2004 at 3:52 PM

Boy, nature sure can stir up a hot jacuzzi, can't she? BTW, this is my 3rd comment today. Feeling better? 91

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Lassen Volcanic National Park

Have you been to Lassen Volcanic National Park?

Latest Activity in Lassen Volcanic National Park