"Inverness, California" Inverness by karenincalifornia

Inverness Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 36 photos

A Wee Bit O' Scotland in California

Inverness is a tiny town located on Tomales Point in west Marin County. Its namesake is a town by the same name in the Scottish Highlands. When you visit Inverness and its surroundings, you'll conclude that the town is very aptly named.

Respite from the rain

The San Francisco Bay Area has been inundated with rain from October 2004 to March 2005. A sudden clear day in March was the perfect time for heading out to West Marin. I have the distinct advantage of living only 30 minutes away from Inverness. When we experienced a break in the storms in March, I cancelled all other plans and headed out to Inverness and Tomales Point.

Tomales Point Trail

Just north of Inverness is Tomales Point, a peninsula that juts out into the Pacific Ocean. That was my destination on this fine March day. Tomales Point has one of the most dramatic hikes in Marin County, made all the more beautiful when the storm clouds have disappeared and the fog is nowhere to be seen.

Join me on my hike on this beautiful sunny day!

• Pros:Lack of crowds, unspoiled beauty, dramatic coastline
  • Cons:Weather is capricious. Sunny days are in the minority.
  • In a nutshell:The most beautiful part of the Bay Area.
  • Last visit to Inverness: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 1, 2014

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2005 at 2:54 PM

Love a good hike great sea scape pictures Good page

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2005 at 12:41 PM

Gorgeous hike, but the Little Girl tells me that Californians are prejudiced if they don't let her out there too .. especialy in liue of allowing Republicans. The End looks like a nice place to enjoy one of those Sagrantinos!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2005 at 1:33 PM

Another nice new page, with lots of photos well worth clicking on. I can almost feel the fresh air streaming out of my computer screen.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 11:59 AM

What a lovely area! I need to explore again. Thanks for sharing!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 4:07 PM

Just beautiful, KCC. Sara loves the picture of the Tule elk. And, I'm glad to see that such a beautiful place is hospitable to we Republicans. Do they have cable there? Gotta have my FOX to go with those elk. 91

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2005 at 10:23 AM

LOL-- I was clicking on what I thought would be a tip about Inverness-Scotland... funny, I should have known better, actually I knew about the California one way before the Scotland Inverness :-)) Pretty Pretty Places

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Inverness

Have you been to Inverness?