"There's No Place Like Homewood" Homewood by karenincalifornia
Homewood Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 18 photos
Well, almost nobody. If you polled 100 people who have traveled to Lake Tahoe and asked them, "Where is your favorite place to stay in Lake Tahoe?", 99 out of 100 would say South Shore (with the casinos), Incline Village (northeast corner of the lake, with its golf courses and casinos), the Nevada side (east side with its condos and easy access to Reno), Tahoe Keys (southwest corner, with its marina and Venice-like canals, or North Shore (with its restaurants, shops and public beaches). Almost nobody says "The west shore" or "Homewood".
That's only because most people don't know there is a west side of Lake Tahoe. "There's a west shore?" they would ask. "I thought all this time Lake Tahoe had only three sides. Well, what in the heck is over there? Is there a Harrah's or a Caesar's? Is there are Nordstrom's?"
There is indeed a west shore, and no, there are no casinos. The biggest market is no bigger than a gas station. This is the California side (no casinos permitted - apologies to you high rollers). This side of the lake is isolated and relatively undeveloped. It is the ONLY part of Lake Tahoe that hasn't been marred by those unsightly strip malls that line the road in every other place around the lake.
The West Shore is peaceful, relaxing, and gorgeous. In my opinion, it is what Lake Tahoe should be. It is close enough to Tahoe City to give you choices of places to eat and shop, and (thankfully) far enough away from the casinos of the Nevada side to not even know they are there.
Homewood is a little collection of cabins on the West Shore with a small family-style ski resort, a market and a couple of restaurants. Just perfect!
I'll be that 1 in 100 who says Homewood is my favorite place to stay in Lake Tahoe.
- Pros:Quiet, no strip malls, beautiful, relatively undeveloped
- Cons:It makes you wish that the rest of Lake Tahoe still looked like this
- In a nutshell:The most beautiful part of Lake Tahoe
The other shop I enjoy stopping by when I am on the west shore of Tahoe is Girasole. This shop, which technically is on... more travel advice
The relatively undeveloped west shore of Lake Tahoe begins at the "Y" in Tahoe City to the north, where Highway 24... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Homewood Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Homewood
- Hotels in Homewood
- Restaurants in Homewood
- Shopping in Homewood
- Warnings and Dangers in Homewood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Homewood
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Homewood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Homewood
Photos in HomewoodSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue