"Healdsburg, California" Top 5 Page for this destination Healdsburg by karenincalifornia

Healdsburg Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 260 photos

The New World Wines

When I look at a wine list in Europe it always amuses me to see how the wines are listed and described. Often, I'll see a long list of French and Italian wines, some German wines, and then a very small number of "New World Wines", with California, Chile, Argentina, New Zealand, and Australia all lumped together.

I'm dedicating this page to all New World Wines. It has taken us a century or two, but in my opinion, California, Washington, Oregon, Canada, Argentina, Chile, Australia and New Zealand have all finally really "made it" in the wine world. Our wines compete with the best of them from all over the world. If you are in Northern California and you like wine, our beautiful wine country is not to be missed.

Dry Creek Appellation

Each valley and hill of the California wine country is distinctive and produces its own unique grape. It is difficult for me to say which subregion is my favorite, but one of my favorites is the Dry Creek Appellation just west of Healdsburg.

My earliest Dry Creek pictures were taken when we took my co-worker and friend, Gabi from Munich, up to visit the wine country. After this trip, she became a convert and declared California wines to be just as good as German wines (but different)!

I'm also including some pictures from my last trip to Dry Creek in June 2005 as I bicycled along Dry Creek road while my husband was shopping in Healdsburg.

• Pros:Peaceful, serene, fantastic wines, unique wineries
  • Cons:Can get hot in summer, but then again, some of the grapes love that. No real cons at all here.
  • In a nutshell:Come here and buy the California wine. Or simply order it over the internet. Help eliminate the California deficit.
  • Last visit to Healdsburg: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2005

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 11:00 AM

If you are still sampling after five wineries, you had better be putting some selzer water in that glass. I like how you do 'rose' down there too ;-]

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Hi Karen - We will be going up this way for a weekend. One in our party is a frequent visitor and wine taster. Looking forward to being up near your stomping grounds.

• Apr 30, 2006 at 8:16 PM

Mill Creek was by far the highlight of our day. The wines were excellent. Like karenincalifornia, we also picnicked here and had a great time. The views were tremendous, and we didn't notice any squeaking sounds whatsoever. Definitely recommended!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2005 at 5:38 AM

A friend of mine emerged unscathed from an accident because she was wearing a cycling helmet. So I agree, I wouldn't ride 5 meters without one. Here you can lose your driver's license for CUI; but you don't need a license for cycling anyway…

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2005 at 10:57 AM

Boy, that Michel Schlumberger Cabernet Sauvignion sounds as fine as frog's hair, Karen.

• orlikins's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2004 at 7:46 AM

sounds like a perfect day out! :-))

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2004 at 7:58 AM

Wonderful tips, and so many folks head to Napa. Healdsburg is a great trip too...

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Healdsburg

Have you been to Healdsburg?

Latest Activity in Healdsburg