"Calistoga of Sarafornia" Top 5 Page for this destination Calistoga by karenincalifornia
Calistoga Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 175 photos
Calistoga is located at the northern end of Napa Valley. It's my favorite part of the valley. It sits right on top of thermal hot springs, so it has become famous for its mud and mineral baths. Its nearest neighbors are some of the finest wineries in California, yet it also has the largest collection of seedy spas and mudbaths in California.
Four reasons why I'm a big fan of Calistoga:
1. Less likely to get fog if the rest of the Bay Area is fogged in (I am really, really sick of the fog this summer!)
2. Fewer wineries that charge for tasting
3. Not as crowded as the town of Napa (to the south)
4. Countryside is prettier, hillier and more forested than the rest of Napa
The thermal hot springs have attracted dozens of spas. This was all started by Sam Brannan, an entrepreneur who grabbed up all the geyser lands in the area to build a resort-spa in the 1860's. Dozens of other spa-developers quickly followed suit. I've never "taken the waters" here or jumped into a mud bath so I can't give you any recommendations on that front. Notwithstanding my lack or recommendations, if mud or mineral baths are your thing, this is the place to come.
Brannan opened Hot Springs Hotel in 1860, promoting it as the "Saratoga of California." Legend has it that one evening after having a few too many, he declared instead, "I will make this place the Calistoga of Sarafornia." The name stuck and Calistoga became the name of the town.
- Pros:Beautiful, quaint, home of top wineries, great weather, cute town
- Cons:Many spas are dated and rundown - do your research!
- In a nutshell:A popular town desperately hanging onto its 19th century demeanor
Calistoga is also the home of the Calistoga Mineral Water Company. In Northern California, you will find sparkling... more travel advice
If you enjoy visiting the wine country, but you shy away from wineries requiring appointments, you need to change your... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Calistoga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hot Springs, Massage, and Wine"
- "Calistoga of Sarafornia"
- "Old Resort Town With a Hybrid Name"
- "Calistoga California"
- "Calistoga: Spa Town in the Wine Country"
- "Calistoga, CA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calistoga
- Hotels in Calistoga
- Nightlife in Calistoga
- Restaurants in Calistoga
- Shopping in Calistoga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calistoga
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Calistoga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calistoga
Photos in CalistogaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue