"Kachemak Bay, Alaska" Kachemak Bay State Park by karenincalifornia

Kachemak Bay State Park Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 34 photos

Wet, Wild and Beautiful

All parts of Alaska we visited during our summer vacation were incredibly beautiful, but the highlight was our stay on Kachemak Bay. I think in superlatives when I think of Kachemak Bay. This is the best of the best in Alaska. The best weather. The most gorgeous scenery. The best mix of of activities. The most delicious food.

Getting your bearings...

Kachemak Bay is one of the bays in the Kenai Peninsula, south of Anchorage and just off of the Cook Inlet. Homer, Alaska sits right on the Bay. Kachemak Bay is made up of smaller bays, like Tutka Bay, a long fjord which was our base for all our activities. Kachemak Bay State Park is located on Tutka Bay and borders the Kachemak Bay State Wilderness Park. Together the two parks cover 400,000 acres of mountains, glaciers, forest and ocean. It was Alaska's first state park and is accessible only by boat or plane.

For more information on the State Park

Click on this link:

Kachemak Bay State Park and State Wilderness Park

This is the second summer vacation I planned based on recommendations of VT members. Herzog63 from Kodiak Island steered me in the direction of the Kenai Peninsula. Thank you, Scott! I give you credit for our fantastic visit to Tutka Bay!

• Pros:Gorgeous, best weather in Alaska, remote, uncrowded and unspoiled
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:I love this place! I could retire here!
  • Last visit to Kachemak Bay State Park: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2005

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2008 at 6:52 AM

Am watching Kachemak Bay on the Travel channel now and your photos are just as lovely as it looks on TV. Nice pages!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 1:05 PM

What a gorgeous wilderness area you have been in :-))) Just the place for me, and also not much known :-)) Karen, you seem to know much about wildflowers, would you like to participate in my collection (see HP album). Cheers :-)

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2006 at 5:37 PM

.......91

• Feb 3, 2006 at 8:03 AM

Beautiful page with great photos!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 3:11 PM

Writtern like a local, Karen. Lived in Alaska many years and have yet to make it further than Halibut Cove. Going to have to check it out.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 2:02 PM

Nice comments and tips on this part of AK. Those EasyRiders aren't exactly made for speed though;-] Also happy to hear you have not adopted the Swiss dairy look on your walks ;-]

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 1:54 PM

Great adventures for you and the family. Your grand photos are evidence of the beauty of the place. Excellent hotel and food tips. I love fishing and would love it here.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2005 at 11:03 AM

I had to laugh at Cap'n Rick's Great Toss into the Bay!! hahahhaha Looks like you guys had perfect weather most of the time. Great hikes!! It's sad that so many people put the Humpy down!! They can be a fun fish to catch and eat.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2005 at 8:42 AM

Hiking, fishing, kayaking, whale watching, bald eagle watching, blueberry picking, gourmet cuisine, fantastic scenery and no cars! Sounds like the ideal vacation spot.

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Kachemak Bay State Park

Have you been to Kachemak Bay State Park?

Latest Activity in Kachemak Bay State Park