"Halibut Capital of the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Homer by karenincalifornia
Homer Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 426 photos
Homer is one of the funkiest towns I've ever visited. The Homer Spit is a string of quirky beach shops, cafes, campgrounds, tent communities, trailer parks, marinas, halibut and salmon fishing operations, and water taxi stands. Head over to the "downtown" area, and you aren't certain where the downtown is. You'll notice the urban sprawl with California-type strip malls - the product of a town that grew up without any planning. But underneath this funky, quirky, hippy exterior, you'll find delightful galleries displaying work of local artists, fun cafes specializing in local cuisine, excellent museums, fascinating book shops loaded with books by Alaskan authors, and an artistic, highly-educated and cultured community.
- Pros:Fun shops and restaurants, great location for halibut fishing and other Alaskan adventures
- Cons:Not really a "walking" town. Everything is spread out - you really need a car to get around
- In a nutshell:Homer's gotta have more trailers per capita than any other place in the US. Home of Jewel, the pop singer.
We didn't stay in Homer, but we stayed near Homer. Our lodge, the Tutka Bay Wilderness Lodge, was a 30 minute water taxi... more travel advice
What Homer lacks in curb appeal, it certainly makes up for in originality. This is a typical street scene in downtown... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Homer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Homer -- suffering from a "Spit" Personality"
- "Halibut Capital of the World"
- "Hangin with the locals in Homer"
- "Homer - The Famous Spit of Alaska"
- "Homer Alaska"
- "Jumping Around Homer!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Homer
- Hotels in Homer
- Transportation in Homer
- Nightlife in Homer
- Restaurants in Homer
- Shopping in Homer
- Warnings and Dangers in Homer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Homer
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Homer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Homer
Photos in HomerSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue