Budva Things to Do Tips by karenincalifornia
Budva Things to Do: 127 reviews and 232 photos
Museum in Budva, Montenegro
Budva has a very small museum in the fortress. It is near an archaelogical site where 4th to 6th century basilicas were uncovered. The museum is primarily made up of two rooms – one displays artifacts that were recovered in the site, and in the other room were contemporary paintings by local artists. It was worth the small entrance fee, and be sure to visit the restrooms there. They were very, very nice for a museum, by any country’s standards.
Budva city wall, Montenegro
If you’ve already walked around the city walls of Dubrovnik in the blazing heat, or schlepped up the Kotor city wall that climbs up the side of the mountain, you’ll be happy to know that the walk along the city wall of Budva is a mere walk in the park. Or rather, a short walk in the fortress.
First of all, the part of the Budva city wall you can walk on doesn’t encircle the entire city like Dubrovnik. Second, there is no “up the mountain” business here like in Kotor. Been there, done that and thankfully, this wall is level. Like the other city walls, this one provides some beautiful views of the city, sea and coastline, but with far less effort.
My son and daughter are taking a short rest here on the wall next to the Citadel, which is a part of the old fortress. Like many seaside old fortresses in Montenegro, the Citadel hosts evening open air movies and concerts.
Address: On sea side of the city
St. Nikola Island, Montenegro
No, contrary to what you are thinking, I have not misplaced this tip and put it in the wrong place. The locals actually do call this little island “Hawaii.” (Its real name is St. Nikola Island). In the summer, you can catch a boat that runs back and forth to and from the island. It is about a mile away from Budva and has hiking trails to the summit offering a beautiful view of the sea and coastline. No one lives on this island but it does have a restaurant that is open in the summer.
We didn’t try this, but it is said that one can walk to the island during low low tide. Although we didn’t try this one either, many vacationers from Serbia and Montenegro will swim the mile long distance to Hawaii. No, we just chose the merely gaze at Hawaii from the Budva city wall. There is something to be said for the simple pleasures of life.
One of the most prominent structures in Budva is the Catholic Church of St Ivan. It has been rebuilt many times, with most of the current structure dating back to the 15th century. The Gothic revival belltower was added in the 1800s.
Opposite this church is the Church of the Holy Trinity, a Serbian Orthodox church built in the 1800’s. It was undergoing renovation (see big tent), so we couldn’t see much of the church while we were there.
Address: In Budva Stari Grad (Old Town)
More Reviews (11)
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Budva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budva the Pearl of Montenegro Tourism"
- "Budva by the fjords of the Mediterranean Sea"
- "B U D V A"
- "ANTIQUE, MEDIEVAL AND MODERN BUDVA"
- "An Afternoon in Budva"
- "Budva – Beautiful & Overcrowded Montenegrian Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budva
- Hotels in Budva
- Transportation in Budva
- Nightlife in Budva
- Restaurants in Budva
- Shopping in Budva
- Warnings and Dangers in Budva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budva
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Budva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budva
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- Commented on one of peterdhduncan's Budva travel pages
- updated a Budva Travel Page "An Afternoon in Budva"
- Wrote a Review Wonderful roadside grill in Budva Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Big Bargains - Better than Factory Outlets"
Photos in BudvaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue