"An Afternoon in Budva" Budva by karenincalifornia
Budva Travel Guide: 332 reviews and 786 photos
Budva is one of the most popular summer tourist spots for Serbs residing in other parts of Serbia and Montenegro. It has the right combination to be a coastal tourist destination - pleasant weather, seaside location, an old town, a beach - exactly the kind of place where you can expect to see wall to wall sun worshippers packed in like sardines on lounge chairs on the beach.
Our stay was brief. We passed through Budva on our way from Herceg-Novi down to Bar to catch the ferry that evening over to Bari, Italy. We wanted to spend some time in the old town, but we had a much more important mission, and that was to find more Serbian relatives.
We had the address of our relative in Budva and we knew he was expecting us because our Serbian speaking family members in the US called ahead to let him know of our arrival. We found the street without too much difficulty, but the numbering of the apartment buildings was a bit confusing.
A man roaming about the street noticed our confusion and came to our immediate aid. I thought, "Isn't this nice. The people of Budva are so helpful." We gave him the address and he took us right to our relative's home, and a woman answered the door.
To our chagrin, the woman was cordial but didn't seem overly welcoming. She showed us to a table on the patio, invited us to take a seat and offered us water -- a nice gesture, but we had bragged to our kids about all the food our Serb relatives lavished upon us in 1986, so they were expecting a bit more, who can blame them? We're not fluent in Serbian - ok, I'll be honest, we can hardly speak it. But, we did know that this woman, whom we thought was our relative, repeatedly shook her head firmly at the man and said "Nyeh, nyeh" ("No, no").
We were a bit bewildered at the cool reception and were beginning to think we were at the wrong address -- either that or we were intruding. My husband tried to intervene. He said in English to the woman, "We are Angelica's kumovi."
At that point, the woman threw up her hands, looked heavenward and cried "Angelica!" She disappeared and then returned with tray after tray of food, bottles of water, wine and lemonade, and relative after relative in tow (husband, daughter, son, daughter-in-law, cousin, more cousins, etc.)
After the man who brought us to the house was thanked and sent on his way. An English speaking relative cleared up the confusion.
The man who showed us the house was the Budvan version of a real estate broker who roams the streets looking for clients who are seeking apartments. He assumed we were looking for an apartment and told our relatives we were inquiring about a room at their place.
Our relatives, thinking we were mere apartment hunters kept telling the broker that essentially there was no room at the inn. As we learned, "Angelica" was the magic word, that told our relatives we were their long lost relatives who had come from the US to see them.
We thought it was funny how we got a glass of water when we were apartment hunters, but when we became relatives from the US, tray after tray of food appeared on the patio.
Moral of the story - if you are in Budva and are hungry, say the word "Angelica".
- Pros:Sunny location, pleasant weather, interesting old town, dirt cheap CDs
- Cons:Beaches with sunbathers packed like sardines
- In a nutshell:Popular tourist destination for people living in Serbia
Sometimes the best finds are the ones you stumble across without any recommendation. This was definitely the case with... more travel advice
Like all other seaside towns in Montenegro, Budva has changed rulers almost as often as some VT members change their... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Budva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budva the Pearl of Montenegro Tourism"
- "Budva by the fjords of the Mediterranean Sea"
- "B U D V A"
- "ANTIQUE, MEDIEVAL AND MODERN BUDVA"
- "An Afternoon in Budva"
- "Budva – Beautiful & Overcrowded Montenegrian Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budva
- Hotels in Budva
- Transportation in Budva
- Nightlife in Budva
- Restaurants in Budva
- Shopping in Budva
- Warnings and Dangers in Budva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budva
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Budva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budva
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- Commented on one of peterdhduncan's Budva travel pages
- updated a Budva Travel Page "An Afternoon in Budva"
- Wrote a Review Wonderful roadside grill in Budva Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Big Bargains - Better than Factory Outlets"
Photos in BudvaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Budva hotel reviews
- Hotel Mediteran
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Hotel Slovenska Plaza
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013
- Hotel Mogren
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Hotel Sajo
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Hotel Kangaroo
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Avala Resort & Villas
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Hotel Grbalj
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2013
- Saki Apartmani
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 31, 2013
- Splendid Conference and Spa Becici
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Montenegro
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2013
- Becici Sunset
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 14, 2013