"Kotor Rebuilt" Top 5 Page for this destination Kotor by karenincalifornia

Kotor Travel Guide: 553 reviews and 1,293 photos

My Return to Kotor

My husband and I first visited Montenegro on our honeymoon in 1986. Seven years earlier in 1979, the area had suffered a severe earthquake. Rebuilding was painfully slow. In 1986, Kotor seemed like a ghost town to us. We were two of very few tourists visiting the town.

Today, thanks to international funding and placement on the UNESCO World Heritage list, Kotor has been almost completely restored. The city is the vibrant location of many upscale shops and restaurants. At night, the city has a party-like atmosphere and is a favorite of young and old alike.

Then and Now

In 1986, Kotor looked like a war zone. Even though 7 years had passed since the 1979 earthquake, rubble still laid in the streets, the buildings were still damaged and tourists were practically nonexistent. Many buildings could not be entered because of their damaged state.

Kotor Now - 2004

What a difference 18 years (and some international funding) as made! The plaza in the picture above has now been restored and is the site of charming outdoor cafes. Stores are now attractive and busy. The old town Kotor is bustling with many visitors.

The rebuilding of Kotor has completely changed the character of Kotor from an earthquake ravaged and desolate town to a beautiful and active place to visit today. Of all the Montenegrin cities I visited in 2004, Kotor was my favorite.

• Pros:Beautifully restored, exciting history
  • Cons:Now that the city is so popular, parking was a bit of a challenge
  • In a nutshell:My favorite Montenegrin city
  • Last visit to Kotor: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2005

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2007 at 1:41 AM

Wow! Beautifully restored town (almost like orignal) and an even more awesome natural environment.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2006 at 10:17 AM

Hi Karen, lovely little page on Kotor; I had no idea how beautiful it is there.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Strange, I know for sure that I have already visited your Kotor page but I do not find any comment! Have I forgotten to write it? Anyway I have rated your tips, I do not know if It is legal or not ;-))

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 10:06 AM

Thank you for the beautiful page about my hometown ! Greetings, Vesna

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2005 at 11:44 AM

Good page this, like the before and after pics Kotor is definatly a place to see Thanks

• Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2005 at 6:46 PM

The 'then' & 'now' pages are awesome! It must have been something else to have seen these places live and to have the photos to share with all of us. Thanks!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 6:15 PM

A really fantastic page, Karen. How interesting to see the then and now photographs and explanations. Stunning photographs of a very interesting area. I like the sprinkled humor, too.

• royalempress's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2005 at 11:01 PM

great page, I learned alot about Kotor. I guess I will have to add it to my list. Mike

• skinz's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 8:52 AM

Hi Karen, Its good you made this page. Kotor is defenitely worth visiting. ..a mixture of old and new. I went there 2 yrs ago, i was alone and I loved it. But i guess couples in love will simply adore it:)

• J.I.M's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 8:34 AM

Wow, great page, I liked the before-and-after photo comparisons. Jim

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Kotor