"Kotor Rebuilt" Top 5 Page for this destination Kotor by karenincalifornia
Kotor Travel Guide: 561 reviews and 1,327 photos
My husband and I first visited Montenegro on our honeymoon in 1986. Seven years earlier in 1979, the area had suffered a severe earthquake. Rebuilding was painfully slow. In 1986, Kotor seemed like a ghost town to us. We were two of very few tourists visiting the town.
Today, thanks to international funding and placement on the UNESCO World Heritage list, Kotor has been almost completely restored. The city is the vibrant location of many upscale shops and restaurants. At night, the city has a party-like atmosphere and is a favorite of young and old alike.
In 1986, Kotor looked like a war zone. Even though 7 years had passed since the 1979 earthquake, rubble still laid in the streets, the buildings were still damaged and tourists were practically nonexistent. Many buildings could not be entered because of their damaged state.
What a difference 18 years (and some international funding) as made! The plaza in the picture above has now been restored and is the site of charming outdoor cafes. Stores are now attractive and busy. The old town Kotor is bustling with many visitors.
The rebuilding of Kotor has completely changed the character of Kotor from an earthquake ravaged and desolate town to a beautiful and active place to visit today. Of all the Montenegrin cities I visited in 2004, Kotor was my favorite.
- Pros:Beautifully restored, exciting history
- Cons:Now that the city is so popular, parking was a bit of a challenge
- In a nutshell:My favorite Montenegrin city
Over the past several centuries since its founding, the city survived many devastating events including two strong... more travel advice
Driving to Kotor isn't too difficult as long as you avoid the serpentine road between Cetinje and Kotor and the narrow... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Kotor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kotor and Europe's Deepest Fjord"
- "K O T O R"
- "Kotor Rebuilt"
- "The jewel of Montenegro"
- "WELCOME TO KOTOR!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kotor
- Hotels in Kotor
- Transportation in Kotor
- Nightlife in Kotor
- Restaurants in Kotor
- Shopping in Kotor
- Warnings and Dangers in Kotor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kotor
- 25 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Kotor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kotor
Photos in KotorSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue