"The Past of Perast" Top 5 Page for this destination Perast by karenincalifornia
Perast Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 244 photos
Perast, Montenegro is one of the little coastal towns along the long route around the Bay of Kotor. "Quaint", "charming" and "sleepy" are all perfectly suitable adjectives for this town consisting mostly of centuries-old stone buildings with red tile roofs, some of which are falling into disrepair.
The natural setting is breathtaking. The town was built into the steep flanks of the mountains which drop directly into the sea. Perast is a museum town with a rich history. Fortunately, the town received preservation funding during the second half of the 20th century, so many of the monuments to its past have been restored and preserved.
A visit to Perast is well worth the side trip off the road that circles around the Bay. Plan to spend at least a couple of hours in this delightful town that personifies the strength and independence of the Montenegrin people.
- Pros:Interesting and totally unexpected history for such a small town
- Cons:No cons if you love quiet. If you are looking for a lot of activity and a party atmosphere, go to Budva or Kotor.
- In a nutshell:Relatively well preserved museum town in an amazingly beautiful setting
This picture was taken from the end of the verige (channel) opposite the view in the picture above. In this picture, we... more travel advice
The Church of St. Nikola, or Crkva Sv. Nikole, as it is called in Serbo-Croatian, is located in the center of town.... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Perast Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Past of Perast"
- "P E R A S T"
- "Perast - Gem of the Boka Kotorska"
- "Sailor's Dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Perast
- Hotels in Perast
- Transportation in Perast
- Restaurants in Perast
- Warnings and Dangers in Perast
- See All...
Explore the World
- Brimley Hotels
- State of South Australia
- Albufeira Hotels
- Baragwanath Hospital Hotels
- Krems an der Donau
- Binjai Hotels
- Kent Ridge Park Hotels
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Le Puy-en-Velay
- Peng Chau Island
- Muhafazat al Bahr al Ahmar
- Naples Hotels
- Slowinski Park Narodowy
Badges & Stats in Perast
- 18 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Perast?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Perast
Photos in PerastSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue