"Munich and the Men in My Life in Germany" Munich by karenincalifornia

Munich Travel Guide: 4,361 reviews and 10,171 photos

The First Home I Remember

Munich, Germany is the first home I remember. My father, a pilot, was a Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force and was assigned to the U.S. Air Force base in Munich. Shortly before my first birthday, he took my mother, brother and me to Germany, where we lived for three years.

I have not been back to Munich since my childhood, but I plan to go back within the next few years. I look forward to that day when I can return to my childhood home and enjoy this beautiful city. Thanks to my VT friends like pchamlis who have visited Munich and have a wealth of good tips, I will be able to make the most of the experience.

My fondest memories of Munich are swinging in this swing on the playground of our military housing. As you can see, it didn't take much to please me!

Mein Vater und Mein Bruder

Even though we lived on a U.S. Air Force base, my father believed that my brother and I should learn the native language of our host country. He learned German himself and would speak his basic German at home to us. I also remember times when we would play school -- he would be our teacher, and we would be the pupils, eager to add to our vocabulary.

My father taught us all kinds of important phrases. I learned to say things such as "Sie sind Nr. eine" to people who are important in my life. He also taught us to count in German from 1 to 100. The number "ein und neunzig" has stood out as one of my favorite numbers.

In this picture, taken in Germany, my father is holding my brother and me. Much later, when were at college together, my brother would give me important brotherly advice and warnings about guys in general. He also was instrumental in shaping my professional career.

Mein Onkel

My father's brother also lived in Munich at the same time we did. My father and uncle were as close as two brothers could possibly be. My uncle now lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is my home, too.

My uncle and I are sharing a laugh in this picture, taken in Munich. Years later, he would walk me down the aisle and give me away at my wedding to my husband.

• In a nutshell:A pleasant place for childhood memories
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2007

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 8:15 AM

Grand memories. Do you think the magic in Bayern is the same as it was when the elephant was your focus?

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 2:26 PM

Great photos and even greater memories. Thanks for sharing such sweet life experiences. And yes I have to agree, you were, and still are so cute.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2005 at 2:04 PM

You were an adorable little girl, Karen. It's no wonder that you've grown up to be such a classically beautiful lady. : )

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2004 at 1:38 AM

How nice that you even had a favorite number in German, along with all these nice people!

karenincalifornia Used To Live Here!

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Munich