"Munich and the Men in My Life in Germany" Munich by karenincalifornia
Munich Travel Guide: 4,390 reviews and 10,296 photos
Munich, Germany is the first home I remember. My father, a pilot, was a Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force and was assigned to the U.S. Air Force base in Munich. Shortly before my first birthday, he took my mother, brother and me to Germany, where we lived for three years.
I have not been back to Munich since my childhood, but I plan to go back within the next few years. I look forward to that day when I can return to my childhood home and enjoy this beautiful city. Thanks to my VT friends like pchamlis who have visited Munich and have a wealth of good tips, I will be able to make the most of the experience.
My fondest memories of Munich are swinging in this swing on the playground of our military housing. As you can see, it didn't take much to please me!
Even though we lived on a U.S. Air Force base, my father believed that my brother and I should learn the native language of our host country. He learned German himself and would speak his basic German at home to us. I also remember times when we would play school -- he would be our teacher, and we would be the pupils, eager to add to our vocabulary.
My father taught us all kinds of important phrases. I learned to say things such as "Sie sind Nr. eine" to people who are important in my life. He also taught us to count in German from 1 to 100. The number "ein und neunzig" has stood out as one of my favorite numbers.
In this picture, taken in Germany, my father is holding my brother and me. Much later, when were at college together, my brother would give me important brotherly advice and warnings about guys in general. He also was instrumental in shaping my professional career.
My father's brother also lived in Munich at the same time we did. My father and uncle were as close as two brothers could possibly be. My uncle now lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is my home, too.
My uncle and I are sharing a laugh in this picture, taken in Munich. Years later, he would walk me down the aisle and give me away at my wedding to my husband.
- In a nutshell:A pleasant place for childhood memories
Written Jan 18, 2005
Childhood Memories of Munich
Written Jan 19, 2005
Voyages of my parents
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Munich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Munich - Oktoberfest & a lot more !"
- "Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
- "Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
- "The Big Village"
- "Munich - my current hometown"
- "Munich and Surroundings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munich
- Hotels in Munich
- Transportation in Munich
- Nightlife in Munich
- Restaurants in Munich
- Shopping in Munich
- Warnings and Dangers in Munich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munich
- 0 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Munich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munich
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue