"The Island of Hvar" Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar by karenincalifornia

Hvar Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,004 photos

The Croatian Madeira

It is said that the island of Hvar gets more sunshine than any other part of Croatia. Our travels to Hvar confirmed that. We had beautiful, sunny weather each day of our visit. The island has a temperate climate, relaxing environment, interesting history and great food and wine.

A major communications center for Venice in the past, now the island's main industries are tourism and wine.

Jewel in the Adriatic

Hvar is part of the Middle Adriatic islands (Hvala Croisbeauty!). The island is located just off the Croatian coast in the Adriatic near Split.

Hvar is not large. It is only 67 kilometers long and 10.5 kilometers wide. However, packed in this tiny island is a fascinating history and relaxing atmosphere.

• Pros:Sunny, warm weather, fantastic sea food, quaint town
  • In a nutshell:Small island - good location for a short trip
  • Last visit to Hvar: Oct 1986
  • Intro Updated Feb 1, 2004

• alza's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2008 at 7:54 PM

good page! I'd love to go there.

• tpk2's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Greetings from Hvar! You have nice Hvar tips! It's great to be back here ;)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Hvar for us this summer - your page confirms all we've heard. I', interested in your ferry crossing as we're also heading to Mostar and it's very close. leyle

• ivanab's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2006 at 1:07 PM

nice page on Hvar..glad you liked my country .-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 9:24 PM

Unfortunately, the boneless-skinless-headless fish invades Europe. Asked to draw a dish, children often draw a stick! I hope that it will not happen around the Adriatic! Haha, table territorialism! That is how wars can begin!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 7:37 PM

I'm sorry we took a pass on Hvar, looks like a lovely place :-)

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 4:09 PM

I've BEEN on the wrong end of that "you're at OUR table" situation. We Yanks are so gauche.

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2004 at 10:39 PM

Karen, you have a wonderful page on Hvar. What a gorgeous place...glorious scenery here.

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 1:22 AM

Hi, great page. Our friends were on Hvar Island this year, they were delighted with it. It seems it is like a small paradise:) Greetings from POland.

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 4:17 AM

Great tips, I agree with you!

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Hvar