Republic of Montenegro Favorite Tips by karenincalifornia Top 5 Page for this destination
Republic of Montenegro Favorites: 33 reviews and 36 photos
Cathedral of St. Tryphon, Kotor, 1986
Favorite thing: The original Cathedral of St. Tryphon was built in the 8th century in the town of Kotor. The church in this picture was built in 1166 on the remains of the former cathedral. It was seriously damaged in the 1979 earthquake. Twenty-five years later, in 2004, restoration has made substantial progress.
Herceg Novi town center
Favorite thing: Herceg Novi is located on the northern coast of Montenegro at the opening of the Bay of Kotor. The town's richness is a result of being a blend of many cultures. Established in 1382, Herceg Novi has since been ruled by the Turks, Spain, Venice, Austro-Hungary, Russia, France and Kingdom of Yugoslavia. After World War II Montenegro was included in former Yugoslavia. Today Herceg Novi is located within Serbia and Montenegro.
Fondest memory: Eating delicious seafood, usually grilled fish Adriatic-style, under the stars at night, sitting on the shore of the Adriatic
Sharing a bottle of Krstac wine from Montenegro
Mt. Lovcen, Montenegro
Favorite thing: The mountains near Cetinje are very rocky indeed. In fact, I have never seen so many rocks as I did in the countryside around Cetinje.
The Turks never conquered Montenegro. The story we hear in America from our Serbian relatives and friends goes something like this. The Turks failed to conquer Montenegro because the Montenegrins used a very effective method of defense. If the Turks tried to attack Montenegro from the coast, the Montenegrins simply rolled boulders down the side of the mountain to prevent the Turks from getting any further. Montenegro had a endless supply of boulders, so the country never ran out of ammunition.
Mount Lovcen is the mountain peak in this picture. If you look closely, you can make out Njegos' tomb near the top.
Boka Kotorska, Montenegro
Favorite thing: A large population of Serbs from Bay of Kotor emigrated to my home, the San Francisco Bay area. It is easy to see why. When we reached Boka Kotorska (Bay of Kotor), we definitely noted some similarities and understood why people from Boka Kotorska felt at home in the San Francisco Bay area.
Favorite thing: I'm not sure which building this is, but it is another fine example of the beautiful architecture of Cetinje.
Favorite thing: The buildings in Cetinje are evidence of the past wealth of the area.
Favorite thing: Between 1878 and 1914, Cetinje flourished. It became a center for South-Slavic intellectuals. As the capital of Montenegro, it was the home of numerous consulates and palaces. The city began its decline about the time World War I began.
Catholic Church on Bay of Kotor
Favorite thing: Although Montenegro is predominantly Serbian Orthodox, the Bay of Kotor has a mix of faiths. Because of the proximity to the Dalamtian coast, Bay of Kotor is also home to a fair number of Croats.
Pictured here is a Catholic church sitting near the shores of the Bay. It looked old and very untended to us.
More Reviews (31)
- See All Seaside Accomodations in Herceg Novi
- See All Montenegro Lines - Bar Bari Ferry
- See All Same Montenegrin Lake...
- See All Montenegrin Wedding Attire
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Republic of Montenegro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Crna Gora"
- "Montenegro - A Visit to the Old Country"
- "WILD BEAUTY"
- "Od sveg srca cestitamo nezavisnost!"
- "Magic of Montenegro"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republic of Montenegro
- Hotels in Republic of Montenegro
- Transportation in Republic of Montenegro
- Nightlife in Republic of Montenegro
- Restaurants in Republic of Montenegro
- Shopping in Republic of Montenegro
- Warnings and Dangers in Republic of Montenegro
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bodega Bay Hotels
- Port Royal Plantation Hotels
- Provincia de Puerto Plata Hotels
- Kingston upon Thames Hotels
Badges & Stats in Republic of Montenegro
- 133 Reviews
- 159 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Republic of Montenegro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republic of Montenegro
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- updated a Republic of Montenegro Travel Page "Montenegro - A Visit to the Old Country"
- Commented on one of peterdhduncan's Republic of Montenegro travel pages
- Wrote a Review Seaside Accomodations in Herceg... in Republic of Montenegro Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seaside Accomodations in Herceg Novi"
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Republic of Montenegro hotels
- Budva Hotels
- 332 Reviews - 786 Photos
- Kotor Hotels
- 552 Reviews - 1292 Photos
- Herceg-Novi Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 410 Photos
- Perazica Do Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Ulcinj Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 295 Photos
- Tivat Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Sveti Stefan Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 171 Photos
- Podgorica Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 129 Photos
- Bar Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Otocic Mamula Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Kolasin Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 53 Photos
- Igalo Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Donji Stoj Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 21 Photos
- Becici Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Petrovac Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 23 Photos