"Montenegro - A Visit to the Old Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro by karenincalifornia

Republic of Montenegro Travel Guide: 2,488 reviews and 5,984 photos

Looking for Long Lost Cousins

In 1986, my husband and I visited Montenegro on our honeymoon. We could not have picked a better spot for our first trip after we took our wedding vows. Montenegro had everything we wanted in a destination: a rich history, beautiful scenery, and welcoming, generous people.

Montenegro was particularly exciting to visit because my husband's family emigrated to the US from this country in the early 1900s.

Kamenari - 1986

The seaside village of Kamenari is located between Herceg Novi and Kotor. Kamenari is small enought that all the residents know each other.

Through Olga, we learned so much about what it was like to live in what was then Yugoslavia. Once again, we were treated to extreme generosity. We were given an abundance of food, wine, and slivovitz - far more than any unannounced visitor would ever expect in America.

Happily, we have kept in contact with Olga over the years. We have exchanged letters and emails over the past 18 years and have shared the events of our lives. We had two children.

In summer 2004, we made plans to reunite with our Novi Sad and Kamenari cousins when we return to Montenegro, and the next generation will get to meet each other face to face for the first time.

Our children finally meet - 2004

We did it! We made it back to Montenegro with our children this summer. This trip was one we have wanted to take for a long time, but because of unrest in former Yugoslavia, we have had to postpone the trip until the situation stablized.

In July 2004, we found Montenegro to be extremely calm and peaceful, although many Montenegrins are stuggling economically. Most of our time in the country was spent with Olga and Sanja and their families. Like my husband and me, our cousins each have two children now.

What was exceptionally delightful was watching the 6 children play together. They ranged in age from 8 to 15. My children do not speak Serbian, but that did not create any issues at all to the children. The children showed us how, with a little bit of creativity and fun, the language barrier can truly be broken. They played games endlessly and were a great source of entertainment to the adults.

As we sailed away from the Montenegrin coastline on the ferry to Italy, my daughter (lower right in the picture), who is half Serbian by blood, remarked, "In Montenegro, I felt as if I had come home."

• Pros:Stunningly beautiful countryside and views of the Adriatic Sea
  • Cons:Petrifying roads, they require nerves of steel
  • In a nutshell:A small country with a rich, romantic history
  • Last visit to Republic of Montenegro: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 15, 2011

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I have seen so many travel programmes promoting Montenegro I hope to visit it someday soom.

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Many thanx, Karen, for the helpful page. I'm planning a trip to south of former Yugoslavia, and u gave me some ideas re transportation & off the beaten path. Cheers! Avi

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 6:30 AM

Hi Karen, you are the featured member! The Adriatic Sea is indeed stunning and those two women statues look like the Caryatids near the Parthenon at the Acropolis...hope you had a good Valentine's, Norman :)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2008 at 7:57 PM

How great that your families were reunited! I think it's special your children got to visit their cousins. Montenegro really does have some beautiful views.

• peterdhduncan's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Thank you for your comments on our Montenegro Pages, Karen, and for creating pages which helped to inspire us to go there. Zvrlj's pages on Niksic suggest that there is more to be seen there than we have seen in our limited visits. Regards, Peter.

• Dec 26, 2007 at 8:22 AM

I very much enjoyed reading about and viewing your vacation pictures in Montenegro. My family and I also traveled there in 2007. Most if not all of those areas were at one time Illyrian. There were no Slavs there during or prior to the Byzantine era.

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Nice pages on Montenegro!!! I like the pictures and the tips are useful!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2006 at 5:36 PM

Hi Karen, thank you for the open views of a place I had not really though about. We have now put it on our travel map of places to see.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2006 at 11:44 PM

Happy Birthday, Karen. Glad you found those long lost cousins. (And thanks for your visit to my new Dessau page.) Have a great day!

• LauraWest's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 5:30 AM

Thank you for sharing your Intro story of connection with lost cousins! I enjoy those!! Will return to read your pages when I have more time, Karen. Later, Laura In Missouri

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Republic of Montenegro

Have you been to Republic of Montenegro?