"Montenegro - A Visit to the Old Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro by karenincalifornia
Republic of Montenegro Travel Guide: 2,456 reviews and 5,857 photos
In 1986, my husband and I visited Montenegro on our honeymoon. We could not have picked a better spot for our first trip after we took our wedding vows. Montenegro had everything we wanted in a destination: a rich history, beautiful scenery, and welcoming, generous people.
Montenegro was particularly exciting to visit because my husband's family emigrated to the US from this country in the early 1900s.
The seaside village of Kamenari is located between Herceg Novi and Kotor. Kamenari is small enought that all the residents know each other.
Through Olga, we learned so much about what it was like to live in what was then Yugoslavia. Once again, we were treated to extreme generosity. We were given an abundance of food, wine, and slivovitz - far more than any unannounced visitor would ever expect in America.
Happily, we have kept in contact with Olga over the years. We have exchanged letters and emails over the past 18 years and have shared the events of our lives. We had two children.
In summer 2004, we made plans to reunite with our Novi Sad and Kamenari cousins when we return to Montenegro, and the next generation will get to meet each other face to face for the first time.
We did it! We made it back to Montenegro with our children this summer. This trip was one we have wanted to take for a long time, but because of unrest in former Yugoslavia, we have had to postpone the trip until the situation stablized.
In July 2004, we found Montenegro to be extremely calm and peaceful, although many Montenegrins are stuggling economically. Most of our time in the country was spent with Olga and Sanja and their families. Like my husband and me, our cousins each have two children now.
What was exceptionally delightful was watching the 6 children play together. They ranged in age from 8 to 15. My children do not speak Serbian, but that did not create any issues at all to the children. The children showed us how, with a little bit of creativity and fun, the language barrier can truly be broken. They played games endlessly and were a great source of entertainment to the adults.
As we sailed away from the Montenegrin coastline on the ferry to Italy, my daughter (lower right in the picture), who is half Serbian by blood, remarked, "In Montenegro, I felt as if I had come home."
- Pros:Stunningly beautiful countryside and views of the Adriatic Sea
- Cons:Petrifying roads, they require nerves of steel
- In a nutshell:A small country with a rich, romantic history
Privately owned hotels are just starting to spring up in Montenegro. Hotel Perla is one such privately owned hotel that... more travel advice
The first part of our trip was spent in Italy and we needed to get over to Montenegro. The least expensive way to travel... more travel advice
- See All Montenegrin Wedding Attire
- See All Grilled fish, Adriatic Style
- See All Herceg Novi - Entrance to Boka Kotorska
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Republic of Montenegro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Crna Gora"
- "Montenegro - A Visit to the Old Country"
- "WILD BEAUTY"
- "Od sveg srca cestitamo nezavisnost!"
- "Magic of Montenegro"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republic of Montenegro
- Hotels in Republic of Montenegro
- Transportation in Republic of Montenegro
- Nightlife in Republic of Montenegro
- Restaurants in Republic of Montenegro
- Shopping in Republic of Montenegro
- Warnings and Dangers in Republic of Montenegro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republic of Montenegro
- 133 Reviews
- 159 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Republic of Montenegro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republic of Montenegro
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- updated a Republic of Montenegro Travel Page "Montenegro - A Visit to the Old Country"
- Commented on one of peterdhduncan's Republic of Montenegro travel pages
- Wrote a Review Seaside Accomodations in Herceg... in Republic of Montenegro Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seaside Accomodations in Herceg Novi"
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Republic of Montenegro hotels
- Budva Hotels
- 323 Reviews - 752 Photos
- Herceg-Novi Hotels
- 170 Reviews - 406 Photos
- Kotor Hotels
- 552 Reviews - 1288 Photos
- Ulcinj Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 295 Photos
- Podgorica Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 130 Photos
- Sveti Stefan Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 171 Photos
- Kolasin Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 53 Photos
- Bar Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Perazica Do Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Petrovac Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Zabljak Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 84 Photos
- Donji Stoj Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 21 Photos
- Veliki Ostros Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 36 Photos
- Tivat Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 95 Photos
- Ostrvo Cvijeca Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos