"Granada, A Former Nasrid Kingdom" Granada by karenincalifornia
Granada Travel Guide: 2,065 reviews and 5,240 photos
Granada is a beautiful city with a fascinating history. While we were staying near the coast, we made a day trip out of Granada. We first drove through miles and miles of olive groves, then spent a few hours at the Alhambra, and finally spent the last few hours in the old town and Muslim quarter.
Granada lies at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountain range and sits at an elevation of 2400 feet. This means that when it is hot in places like Sevilla or Cordoba, it is likely to be far more pleasant in Granada.
The great show pieces of Granada are the Alhambra dating back to the 13th century and the Generalife dating back to the 14th century. Both were constructed by Nasrid sultans during the Nasrid dynasty.
We visited the Alhambra just a few days before the official vote of for the Seven Wonders of the World was to take place. Naturally, we were so impressed with the beauty of the Alhambra that we were rooting for it, but alas, it did not make the cut.
- Pros:Alhambra and Generalife, fascinating history, beautiful city, mix of cultures
- Cons:Beware of gypsies bearing rosemary
- In a nutshell:Amazing preservation of one of the most beautiful structures in the world
We chose to drive to Granada from Mijas. It's about a 90 minute drive. In the morning, we drove the inland route from... more travel advice
We wanted to visit the interior of the beautiful Granada Cathedral, but it was closed for the afternoon until 4:30 pm... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Granada"
- "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- "And How to fall in love with a city...."
- "Feel of Old Islam in Spain"
- "Beautiful architecture and fantastic views!"
- "My new home - My old home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 11 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- updated a Granada Travel Page "Granada, A Former Nasrid Kingdom"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Drive between Mijas and Granada"
- Wrote a Review Drive between Mijas and Granada about BY CAR in Granada Transportation
- Commented on one of Jim_Eliason's Granada travel pages
Photos in GranadaSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue