"An Andalusian Week in Mijas Pueblo" Top 5 Page for this destination Mijas by karenincalifornia
Mijas Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 595 photos
I just returned from a wonderful holiday week in Mijas. As a home base for our activities in Andalucia, I could not have picked a better place. Mijas is one of the "white towns" that are prevalent in Andalucia. Although it is fairly close to busier, more populated places like Fuengirola and Marbella (you are constantly reminded Fuengirola is there by the view), Mijas has managed to preserve its small town charm.
There are actually two Mijases - one is Mijas Pueblo on the hill; the other is Mijas Costa on the coast. We spent our time in Mijas Pueblo, not Mijas Costa. All references to Mijas on my pages, therefore, are made to Mijas Pueblo.
Mijas is the best of both worlds in Costa del Sol. Mijas Pueblo is set on the hillside, so no matter where you are in the town, you will likely get a breathtaking view of the Costa del Sol and the Mediterranean Sea (and all the thousands of residential units owned by people who prefer to be closer to the coast). I liked being away from the crush of the coast, and I also liked the convenience factor of Mijas. The main motorway going through Andalucia is just a few minutes away, so there is good access to Malaga, Granada, Marbella, Algeciras, and Cadiz. Malaga has a huge train station, and from there we caught trains for our day trips to Sevilla and Cordoba.
The food was excellent in Mijas. Weather was perfect. Shopping was better than I expected. One week was not enough time. When we left, there were still many things we had left undone, restaurants we had not tried, hikes we had not taken, natural parks we had not explored, shops we had not visited... these will have to wait for our next visit.
This picture shows Mijas from a vantage point of about 5 km away. Mijas is the patch of white buildings on the hillside (not the V shaped quarry).
- Pros:Balmy summer weather, not crowded like coastal towns, loads of character
- Cons:The mule carts and stands - Mijas would be a better place without them
- In a nutshell:Charming, picturesque town - beats staying on the coast with the masses
Mijas was a very convenient place to sleep in between taking day trips all over Andalucia. We visited the following... more travel advice
We stopped here for lunch on the day we were just hanging around town and had a pleasant lunch out on the terrace. This... more travel advice
- Not bad shopping, either
- See All Almendras Garrapinadas
- Car Hire
- See All They are building like crazy in...
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Mijas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Andalusian Week in Mijas Pueblo"
- "MAGICAL MIJAS"
- "MIJAS PUEBLO"
- "Pueblo Blanco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mijas
- Hotels in Mijas
- Transportation in Mijas
- Nightlife in Mijas
- Restaurants in Mijas
- Shopping in Mijas
- Warnings and Dangers in Mijas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mijas
- 28 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Mijas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mijas
Photos in MijasSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue