"An Andalusian Week in Mijas Pueblo" Top 5 Page for this destination Mijas by karenincalifornia

Mijas Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 595 photos

So Bright It Could Blind You

I just returned from a wonderful holiday week in Mijas. As a home base for our activities in Andalucia, I could not have picked a better place. Mijas is one of the "white towns" that are prevalent in Andalucia. Although it is fairly close to busier, more populated places like Fuengirola and Marbella (you are constantly reminded Fuengirola is there by the view), Mijas has managed to preserve its small town charm.

There are actually two Mijases - one is Mijas Pueblo on the hill; the other is Mijas Costa on the coast. We spent our time in Mijas Pueblo, not Mijas Costa. All references to Mijas on my pages, therefore, are made to Mijas Pueblo.

Africa is somewhere out there...

Mijas is the best of both worlds in Costa del Sol. Mijas Pueblo is set on the hillside, so no matter where you are in the town, you will likely get a breathtaking view of the Costa del Sol and the Mediterranean Sea (and all the thousands of residential units owned by people who prefer to be closer to the coast). I liked being away from the crush of the coast, and I also liked the convenience factor of Mijas. The main motorway going through Andalucia is just a few minutes away, so there is good access to Malaga, Granada, Marbella, Algeciras, and Cadiz. Malaga has a huge train station, and from there we caught trains for our day trips to Sevilla and Cordoba.

A tiny town really - but with so much to offer

The food was excellent in Mijas. Weather was perfect. Shopping was better than I expected. One week was not enough time. When we left, there were still many things we had left undone, restaurants we had not tried, hikes we had not taken, natural parks we had not explored, shops we had not visited... these will have to wait for our next visit.

This picture shows Mijas from a vantage point of about 5 km away. Mijas is the patch of white buildings on the hillside (not the V shaped quarry).

• Pros:Balmy summer weather, not crowded like coastal towns, loads of character
  • Cons:The mule carts and stands - Mijas would be a better place without them
  • In a nutshell:Charming, picturesque town - beats staying on the coast with the masses
  • Last visit to Mijas: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2007

• Sep 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I use this company all the time. You will have to pay for short term car parking ticket but it's usually no more than a few Euros. When returning the car you just have to put short term ticket in boot with key. No checking of the car when you return it.

• Aug 31, 2009 at 7:48 AM

The church pictured is San Sebastian. I love to wander down the side streets, taking in all the beautiful houses with their gorgeous flowers, and then turn and walk back up towards the church - it lifts my spirits and I really feel like I am in Spain!!!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM

By El Presidente in the bullring, do you mean the President of Spain??? I would love to explore this place by foot, it looks awesome! I love the donkeys/mule carts!

• Jul 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM

long time ago this restaurant gots an horrible hawker its discasting and all the food its frozen

• Mar 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM

five star donkey tip

• Jan 8, 2008 at 8:22 AM

Many thanks Karen for taking the time to write such a detailed and helpful review. My wife and I (karen) are in a villa in Mijas June 08 and will use many of your tips. Car parking in Ronda for one. It's raining and cold right now in the uk, come on June!

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Mijas sounds like a nice, quiet place to have as a base. Nice place you stayed at. And great restaurant tips as usual!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 1:22 PM

We loved Mijas when we visited. We, too, stayed in a villa while near the coast. Your tips are wonderful and so informative. Beautiful home you rented and great restaurant tips. Always a delight to read your pages.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2007 at 10:39 AM

A nice look at another potential Costa del Sol base of operations. I admit still being more tempted by the sights of the beaches of Marbella, but you make a nice case for Mijas ;-]

• Aug 14, 2007 at 7:00 AM

I have been several times to Andalucia and passed by Mijas... I should stop next time! Excellent page... glad you enjoyed stunning Andalucia

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Mijas