"Oviedo, Asturias" Top 5 Page for this destination Oviedo by karenincalifornia
Oviedo Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 254 photos
Asturias is such a scenic part of Spain, even its large cities are worth visiting. Oviedo, the capital of Asturias has about 200,000 residents, an old town and excellent shops and restaurants. I was surprised that it has so many Michelin rated restaurants. Small wonder - the city is known for its delicious Asturian food.
We spent only a few hours here, but they were a very enjoyable few hours.
The architecture of Oviedo is charming and attractive. Buildings are made up of earth tone, beige or even brightly painted plaster or stucco, with brick or stone corners and window adornments, wrought iron balconies and tile roofs. The old town streets are cobblestones. Sculptures, old street lamps, fountains, and flowers hanging from windows are found throughout the city.
Oviedo is close to the ocean, so it will frequently get rain and clouds. The day we flew in, the city was covered with clouds. The next day we drove into the city, we were treated with ideal weather with beautiful blue skies.
We were staying near Arriondas, so Oviedo was about 60 minutes away. The quickest way to get there is on the main motorway. We had the time, so going over there, we chose to take the more scenic N-634. The highway winds through the countryside and goes through little Asturian towns.
- Pros:Beautiful old town, georgeous architecture, good food
- Cons:Weather was perfect when we were there, but rain is common
- In a nutshell:It felt like I had been transported outside Spain - to a place that was sort of French, sort of Scottish, sort of Irish
I know El Corte Ingles is not authentic Spanish shopping - it is just a huge mega department store, but I am simply... more travel advice
We enjoyed Casa Conrado for lunch. It is a bit on the formal side, but the food was good, the service was attentive, and... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Oviedo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oviedo/Uvieu, Asturias"
- "Oviedo, Asturias"
- "Oviedo, the old and noble city"
- "Bonio goes to Oviedo"
- "Oviedo: the misty city"
- "OVIEDO: European Capital of Culture 2016"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oviedo
- Hotels in Oviedo
- Transportation in Oviedo
- Nightlife in Oviedo
- Restaurants in Oviedo
- Shopping in Oviedo
- Warnings and Dangers in Oviedo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oviedo
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Oviedo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oviedo
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue