"Bari, Italy" Top 5 Page for this destination Bari by karenincalifornia
Bari Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 329 photos
I had a hard time finding any information on the city before I got to Italy and there is a good reason. This is not a popular tourist destination. Bari, located on the Adriatic sea (eastern side of Italy), is very industrial. This area of Italy is as flat as Kansas and not scenic like other parts of Italy. The city is also reputed to be a high crime area.
When we rented our car at the Rome airport, I was asked where I was taking the car. I replied "Umbria, Tuscany and Bari." The rental agent warned me, "Keep your eye on the car in Bari." When I asked him more, he said car theft was high in Bari. That worried me all week, because we had planned to park the car in Bari while we went across the Adriatic to Montenegro. My worries increased when I read in our travel book that in the past armed guards were necessary to escort tourists around the old town Bari (but apparently not so much now). In the end, we took the car with us on the ferry because I was too scared to leave the car parked for several days in an open lot in Bari.
We arrived at Bari in the afternoon and bought our tickets for the ferry to Bar, Montenegro. The ferry terminal was an interesting spot - it was a colorful collection of cultures waiting to cross the Adriatic. Most were Italian, Greek, Serbian, Kosovar or Albanian.
We were hungry, so we thought we would venture into town looking for a place to eat. That was when we took the picture above. I didn't take too many photos because the area was very depressed. Near the ferry terminal, the area is mostly residential apartments. Another VTer commented on his page that walking around Bari is like walking into someone's living room, and he is right.
We spent time only on the waterfront and perhaps it was the worst there. The waterfront is mainly decaying apartment buildings, hundreds of TV antennae, laundry lines strung from building to building, barbed wire and a brick wall around an elementary school. This is not the place where you will find cheerful sidewalk cafes with bright umbrellas and well-heeled patrons sipping on their Cinzanos, or enotecas with polished wooden counters and a cheery Italian bartender serving you a crisp, chilled pinot grigio.
In fairness to Bari, we did not walk further into the old town, which I'm sure had more to offer, but we gave our body guard the week off, so we thought it was best to stick close to the ferry terminal.
- Pros:A place to take the ferry across the Adriatic
- Cons:Reputation for high crime, rough around the edges, rough inside, too
- In a nutshell:If you are vacationing and have only a week or two in Italy, you can bypass this place. There are so many other more fascinating sights in beautiful Italy.
This was the best part of my trip to Bari. The ferry ride from Bar, Montenegro to Bari, Italy is an overnight trip... more travel advice
The Sveti Stefan ferry, which runs from Bar, Montenegro to Bari, Italy and back, has a few lifeboats. However, there... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Bari Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nice to visit"
- "Magnificent Bari"
- "Bari, Italy"
- "Bari - First Impressions..."
- "I came to no harm in Bari"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bari
- Hotels in Bari
- Transportation in Bari
- Nightlife in Bari
- Restaurants in Bari
- Shopping in Bari
- Warnings and Dangers in Bari
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bari
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Bari?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bari
Photos in BariSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue