"Brighton" Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton by biggeorge
Brighton Travel Guide: 903 reviews and 1,613 photos
Having lived most of my life just down the coast from Brighton i've been there a lot ,mainly to aviod the tedium of going out in Worthing.
The town itself isn't that old ( Regency ) as a combination of French raids and bad weather demolished most of it several times. St Nicholas Church and the Old Lanes are the only surviving older parts of the city.
There's also not much in the way of landmarks but that's not really why a majority of people come here.
Brighton often gets described as London by Sea ,and it can be a bit like Camden but it's got a lot more to offer than that.
It's probably the centre for alternative lifestyles in the whole country. There's a huge gay community centred around Kemp Town in the east of the city and a short walk round the town will show you the wierd and wonderfull people that make up the city.
There's all kinds of Goths , New Agers ,Crusties ,Rasta's ,Vegans and kids off the estates wandering about and Brighton has had a long history of assocaiation with youth culture going back to the Mods and Rocker riots in the Sixties.
The darker side to the town is always there ,as its often dirty ( no-one can get the bin-men to do their job ) ,crowded ( especially on Bank Holidays) and theres's huge problems with drugs and homelessness. This stretches back as far as anyone can remember and has been immortalised in films like Quadrophenia and Brighton Rock.
The nightlife can be as crazy or relaxed as you want it ,but theirs always that little hint of danger that make life so exciting .
- Pros:Nighlife , Odd people ,
- Cons:Dirt y and occasionally dangerous
- In a nutshell:A bit of colour for a dreary country.
Proper old fashioned pre club bar , smart punters , fit barmaids and a lot of sambucaa shots with a little dance floor... more travel advice
Out the way of most of the other nightclubs and consequently avoided by the Yates , Wetherspoons pikeys , this place has... more travel advice
- See All Ain't nothing cheeky about it
- See All Sealife Centre - Load of old fish
- See All Don't get mugged
- See All The Bins
biggeorge's Related Pages
Brighton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brighton Rocks !"
- "BRIGHTON - THE CITY THAT ATE HOVE"
- "London's naughty seaside retreat"
- "Brighton - The city by the sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brighton
- Hotels in Brighton
- Transportation in Brighton
- Nightlife in Brighton
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Shopping in Brighton
- Warnings and Dangers in Brighton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brighton
- 55 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Brighton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brighton
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 65 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 61 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 55 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turku Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Worthing Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zagreb Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Split Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
No friends yet.