"My region" Top 5 Page for this destination Emilia-Romagna by i-bella

Emilia-Romagna Travel Guide: 2,882 reviews and 8,307 photos

Under construction

Many people are not sure where Emilia ends and Romagna begins. Even I am not totally sure about the borders, because the city of Bologna is in Emilia, but part of the province is Romagna. There is no political or administrative separation, this is why we are not sure. The difference is mainly in the dialects, but now only the elderlies still speak the dialects.

The fact is, we really do not care about separation, because the inhabitants of this region are mainly a good-natured sort. In general we have a reputation with other Italians as "simpatici".

Once I was travelling by train, in the Veneto region, and I heard a conversation between two people sitting near me. A young man with an accent from Southern Italy was telling his friend how nice it was for him a period he spent in Emilia for work. He described the "Emiliani" as the most polite, kind, generous, open-minded people he had ever known ... it was even embarassing to hear, and I had the temptation to say "Thank you, but we are not so good after all!". Anyway the fact that I am writing this means I was happy to hear that, and that I hope he was right, at least in part.

• Intro Updated May 11, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Hi Isabella, thanks for your ratings and very nice comment on my Cremona page. I used to think Cremona was in Emilia-Romagna, but it's not, it's across the river in Lombardy.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Your English is way better then my Italian which I am studying with Rosetta Stone right now in hopes of making it to Italy in the next 2 years.

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I've spent some time in Emilia and liked it a lot. Bologna and Modena are both great cities. There is something about walking through the old centers of Italian towns at night that is magical.

i-bella Lives Here!

i-bella

“bring back a new, more interesting you”

Badges & Stats in Emilia-Romagna

Have you been to Emilia-Romagna?

Latest Activity in Emilia-Romagna