Santa Catalina Island Things to Do Tips by pigletsmom Top 5 Page for this destination
Santa Catalina Island Things to Do: 64 reviews and 81 photos
Beautiful Lover's Cove
Catalina is surrounded by pristine waters that offer wonderful snorkeling. You can rent wet suits plus equipment for about $15 - $20 a day per person. You can lock your valuables in a locker by the dock for about $2. Then you can walk a short way to Lover's cove. It is a little bay that has easy access for snorkelers and swimmers. There are no waves to speak of.
In the later summer months, the water is warmer, and the visiblility is very good. Anywhere between 50 and 100ft.
The most popular fish is the bright orange garibaldi. The baby garibaldis are flourescent blue and orange, very cute. There are sardines, sheepheads, wrasse, mackeral, anchovies, moray eels, Lobsters, bass, bat rays, etc. There is an abundence of sea life. The water is so clear you can see the garibaldis when you get off the boat. Sometimes you can get a glimpse of a sea lion as well. Just beautiful! When you are snorkeling, watch out for the submarine looking tourist boats that come too close to the shore. They will sound a horn to tell you to move. You can also snorkel off of Casino Point, this is where the divers go, but it is a longer walk and the beach entry is much more difficult and a little scary at times. Lover's Cove is best for families and novice snorkelers.
Directions: When you arrive just ask someone. It's very close to the
You can rent both in town and either is a lot of fun.
The golf carts are more expensive but they allow
you to drive up above Avalon for some great views
of the harbor and town. Highly recommended!
Address: All over Avalon
Typical View from the bus up to the airport
Take a tour bus ride up through the hills behind Avalon to the airport. It's an old airport built in the 1930s. On your way up you will get to see some great scenery and some wild Buffalo.
The Buffalo were brought to the island in the 1920s by a film company making a silent movie. They needed Buffalo to make their Western more authentic so they imported Buffalo. The Buffalo were left behind, and with very little to do decided to procreate. 80 years later they are still around. There are two companies on Catalina that offer various tours, they are both good and similarly priced. They offer many tours, land and sea.
Directions: Their tour offices are in town and also when you get off the boat.
Looking towards Descano Beach
This walk is only about 10 minutes but it is quite lovely.
You walk along the water and take in the spectacular scenery. You'll walk past the harbor, the old yachting clubs,
and the casino. On your left are some mural tiles that are really lovely that were just designed a few years ago. They trace the history of Avalon in the old Malibu tile style. A popular type of tile that was prevelent in the 1930s in Southern California. The artist is Keit Tile located in Ojai.
The walk ends at Descanso beach where you can rest,
rent kayaks, or just order a pina collada. There are benches along the way to rest and take in the scenery.
Address: Walk towards the Casino, and then past it
One of the many Garibalidis
Don't miss the very pretty Garibaldi fish that are all over the island. You don't even have to get in the water to see them.
The water is so clear that you can see them from the shore or a boat. They are bright orange and very cute.
Lovely Art deco Entry
Check out the Casino. It is a realy cool California art deco building. It was used for dances years ago, and now it is also used as a movie theatre. It was never actually used as a casino. There are tours that take you inside, but the exterior is what I like the best.
Address: You can't miss it.
More Reviews (9)
- Inexpensive Old Hotel
- See All Come early, stay late
- Take a walk thru town to the Catalina...
- Wear Sunblock and a hat in Summer
pigletsmom's Related Pages
Santa Catalina Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island Paradise Not Too Far Away!"
- "Santa Catalina Island"
- "Avalon, Catalina Island - A lovely little place"
- "Santa Catalina Island"
- "An Island so close to shore in Los Angeles"
- "Avalon Bay and Santa Catalina Island"
- "Undiscovered Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Catalina Island
- Hotels in Santa Catalina Island
- Transportation in Santa Catalina Island
- Nightlife in Santa Catalina Island
- Restaurants in Santa Catalina Island
- Shopping in Santa Catalina Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Catalina Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Ho Chi Minh City Hotels
- Bacolod City
- La Spezia
- Ottawa Hotels
- Puerto Rico
- Bradford Hotels
Badges & Stats in Santa Catalina Island
- 15 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Santa Catalina Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Catalina Island
- Posted in Travel Mexico Forum "Wedding Photographer Needed This..."
- Wrote a Review Inexpensive Old Hotel in Santa Catalina Island Hotels
- updated a Santa Catalina Island Travel Page "Avalon, Catalina Island - A lovely little place"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Avalon, Catalina Island - A lovely little place"
Photos in Santa Catalina IslandSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 35 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ojai Intro, 44 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seal Beach Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Assisi Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vaison-la-Romaine Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lucca Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (49)
Latest Santa Catalina Island hotel reviews
- Catherine Hotel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2012