"Pasadena - Old Time Charm and Beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena by pigletsmom

Pasadena Travel Guide: 372 reviews and 1,104 photos

History, Art and Architecture Abound

100 years ago Pasadena was a mecca for wealthy midwesterners trying to escape the bitterly cold winters. They built homes here, which enabled Pasadena to have some of the finest examples of early twentieth century architecture in California.The city has done a fabulous job of preserving their history. The city is filled with art, beauty and fabulous tradition. So rich in culture and history, a must see when visiting Southern California.

The Gamble house should not be missed if you are visiting Pasadena. It's the masterpiece of the Arts & Crafts movement in the United States. Designed by the architectural firm of Greene & Greene, two brothers from the midwest who studied classical design and woodworking, but were influenced by Japanese style. The house is the pinnacle of the Arts & Crafts period, between 1900 and 1920. Numerous craftsman bungalows can be found in Pasadena replicating this lovely and natural style. Check out my things to do tip for more info on the Gamble House.

Museums, Historic Homes and Buildings

There are many first rate museums in Pasadena, the two notable beiing the Norton Simon and the Huntington Library. But there are many others, There is the Pasadena museum of history, Pasadena museum of California Art, and many others. There is the historic Gamble house, the Wrigley mansion, the Castle Green Apartments, and the Pasadena City hall to name a few.

The Castle Greeen

the photo was taken from the website
It is the Castle Greeen Historic Apartments
One of many fabulous buildings in Pasadena

• Pros:History, Art and Architecture Abound, plus great shopping and dining
  • Cons:Parking can be a little troublesome at times
  • In a nutshell:So rich in culture, you should not miss it!
  • Last visit to Pasadena: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 7, 2005

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM

We've only stopped at the Huntington Library and thought it was magnificent. I'd love to see the Gamble house though, I love that style.

• Ritaroni's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2006 at 8:18 PM

My sister, another VTer, is in town and we are planning to take a trip over to Pasadena, one of my favorite places. Will definitely use some of your tips.

• Sep 3, 2006 at 6:28 PM

Great page....by the way...Pasadena is surrounded by the SAN GABRIEL mountains.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 11:31 AM

This is the best Pasadena page I've seen. What a fun look at my former home - lived there for 8 years! I remember when Cheesecake factory came in - odd amongst all the unique cafes. Burger Continental was a favorite!

• Oct 10, 2005 at 3:29 AM

Hamburgers and belly dancers and bungalows!! great tips and special page.thks!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2005 at 6:57 PM

First off, I agree about the Cheesefactory. Love your emphasis on architecture. Pasadena looks like my kind of place to visit. The Arts & Crafts Movement is wonderful. Very interesting page.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2005 at 6:47 AM

Often overlooked by visitors to LA

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 7:32 PM

That's a nice photo of YOU belly dancing, Elissa! Just kidding. I tell you though...even though it's well known that I cannot dance, I'd do a BIG belly dance if I ate a few of those Russell hamburgers. : )

• loisl's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2005 at 1:46 PM

Pasadena - wonderfull tips for the artlover, thanks Elissa. And because we can't live on art I did enjoy your cheesecake tip also very much...mmmmm Peter

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2005 at 8:14 PM

The Huntington is a lovely place to go in Pasadena. I like to see Pinky and Blue Boy. Kat

Badges & Stats in Pasadena

Have you been to Pasadena?