"Ojai - "Nest of the Moon"" Top 5 Page for this destination Ojai by pigletsmom

Ojai Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 162 photos

Oranges, palm trees & the Topa Topa Mountains

Ojai reminds me of a 1930s fruit crate label. It's filled with things that are wonderful and reminiscent of early 20th century California. Ojai has never allowed big chains or fast food restaurants to come into Ojai, and that's one of the reasons why it still retains it's old fashioned look and charm today.

Ojai was founded more than 1,500 years ago as a Chumash village. It's modern name is from the Chumash and means "nest of the moon".

Where is Ojai?
Ojai is appoximately 1 1/2 hours north of Los Angeles, and twenty minutes inland from Ventura. 40 minutes south of Santa Barbera.
Take highway 33 east off the 405 Freeway.

• Pros:Wonderful nature and quaint town!
  • Cons:I can't think of any.
  • In a nutshell:Charming untouched Nostalgic California farming town!
  • Last visit to Ojai: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2004

• rumjungle's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 5:55 AM

Most of RTK Studios tile is not reproduction, it is in the style of, but their own designs.

• Sep 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM

BEFORE OJAI BURNED IN 1917, THE TOWN WAS CALLED NORDOFF, CA. THE PARK AND DOWNTOWN WAS BUILT BY THE LIBBEY FAMILY, WHO HAD A WINTER HOME IN OJAI.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2008 at 2:00 AM

I feel that the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa is right in the center of Ojai and not off the beaten path. They have great brunches and a wonderful spa. I love shopping in Ojai and my favorite store is Human Arts in the arcade across from Libby Park. Nice tips.

• Dec 8, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Some of those so-called drunken derelicts are more than likely old worn out hippies from the 1960's.I'm sure they are harmless too.I lived in Ojai(The Nest) from July 1968 to July 1969 when Libby Park was a very popular spot for hippies & the like.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2005 at 11:56 PM

Wonderful page on a town I never heared of before ! Must be exciting to visit, with all the achitecture and art crafts shops ! Thanks for sharing and telling us :-))

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 7:44 PM

Hey again! I just came across your wonderful page on Ojai & after reading thru it I've decided we need to get out there sometime soon. Wonderful job you've done here!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 2:54 PM

You've done a great job showing all sides of Ojai from its biker community to its luxurious spas. I now feel as if I just spent an afternoon there! Excellent page, Elissa!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2005 at 11:33 AM

Lovely page on Ojai, the spa looks delightful but I don't think I can talk my dad into it ;-) But tea is a definite possibility!

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2005 at 6:23 AM

Delightful Ojai and Malibu pages, Elissa. Fantastic tips and stunning pics ... Thanks for sharing.

• hunterV's Profile Photo