"Assisi" Top 5 Page for this destination Assisi by pigletsmom

Assisi Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 631 photos

Assisi is truly a lovely town. Stay away from Assisi on the weekends due to its hordes of tourists, but other than that, you'll have a pleasant time. The Church of San Francesco has one of the most beautiful interiors in all of Europe and the lower chapel is even more lovely than the upper chapel. Not to be missed by art lovers.

• Pros:This town has great ambiance and energy
  • Cons:Hordes of tourists and tour busses on the weekend and religious holidays
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful town despite the many tourists
  • Last visit to Assisi: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 27, 2004

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I too am always advising people to stay overnight in Assisi. I have done it both ways and the overnight stay was enchanting. We took a bottle of red up to the castle to watch the sunset. Fabulous! Back there again next year.

• Apr 18, 2008 at 2:59 AM

This is common all over Italy. The charge for sitting / is always more than if you take away or stand at the bar. It is for tourists and locals alike. You were not being ripped off!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Interested to know if there are any or many references to St. Francis of Assisi and his love of animals?

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2007 at 11:11 PM

I was advised to visit Assisi, but chose to go to Ostia Antica instead, but , though I had no regrets, seeing your page makes me wish I had listened. maybe Chance will come again.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 2:03 AM

I can't seem to get enough of Assisi and am anxious to go back. Next time I'll get off at Spello and explore. Will return to your good pages often. Grazie, Carol

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 12:39 PM

Feeling homesick? When I am away I never think of home until the very last day. Interesting page.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2004 at 11:46 AM

Hi Elissa, you have beautiful photos of Assisi. I'll be near there in 3 weeks. I'll remember your tip about staying away on the weekends. Love to Piglet and thanks for visiting my SF page!

• rich77's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2004 at 12:44 AM

Your pics are amazing!!! and the page is full of info :) thanx, really a great Assisi's page :)

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2004 at 8:18 PM

Great pictures in the lower church, Assisi is a special place isn't it.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2004 at 8:02 AM

I see what you mean about the church, it looks awesome, I would love to visit it myself, thanks for sharing

Badges & Stats in Assisi