"San Gimignano" San Gimignano by pigletsmom

San Gimignano Travel Guide: 405 reviews and 1,247 photos

Happy and Vibrant town

Lots of people don't like San Gimignano because they feel it is too touristy, and I understand that, however the town has a wonderful vibrant energy that is great. The city has woderful examples of medievel architecture, great shopping and nice restaurants. Thursday is market day, which is very nice. The pottery shops and delis are really good. Arrive early in the day to avoid most of the tourists. I really enjoyed my visit and would most definately return. I had heard that some tourists refer to it as the Italian Disneyland, but I did not feel that at all. I really like this town.

• Pros:Lots to do and see. Best pizza in Italy. And lots of pottery shops.
  • Cons:Too touristy for some people.
  • In a nutshell:If you can get past the tourists, it's a lot of fun.
  • Last visit to San Gimignano: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2005

• windoweb's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2010 at 3:14 AM

We are on our way for a Tuscany Tour to see San Gimignano. Thanks for the great tips we can use.

• Azhut's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 12:48 AM

A very nice page of a "village" close to mine!! :-))

• Maillekeukeul's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 12:14 AM

Italy is such a splendid country... and Siena is such a wonderful city !!!!

• jag17's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2004 at 9:20 PM

Love the back street photo! Thanks for the sneak peek into Italy. I will be going in September, and have enjoyed your comments and photos.

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2004 at 3:39 AM

A lovely place, thanks for sharing

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2004 at 8:59 AM

San Gimignano is also on my must see list for Tuscany. Sounds lovely.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2004 at 7:30 PM

Wonderful write-up about San Gimignano. we stayed overnight, and after the tourist leave, it is a magnificent place. It was a holiday and your "vibrant" describes it perfectly.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2004 at 3:08 PM

Great pics!

• MarvintheMartian's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2004 at 2:56 PM

I definately want to stay here when I get the chance to revisit Tuscany. I've been told it's a great place to stay as the majority of tourist are only here for the day. The evening astmosphere is apparently very relaxed and friendly.

• Jan 30, 2004 at 7:46 AM

wanna taste the best pizza? go to Livorno to the Pizzeria Luna Rossa. it's made by napolitans and you get a meter of pizza to share with friends, just for 9bucks with drink.This pizza is THE PIZZA:)

Badges & Stats in San Gimignano

Have you been to San Gimignano?

Latest Activity in San Gimignano