"Vaison La Romaine - More than just Roman Ruins" Top 5 Page for this destination Vaison-la-Romaine by pigletsmom

Vaison-la-Romaine Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 102 photos

One of the prettiest towns in Southern France

The town of Vaison La Romaine is known for their extensive Roman ruins and rich ancient history. I actually found that to be the least interesting part of the town. Though the Roman ruins are impressive, what I really enjoyed was the beautiful medieval section and the very friendly locals. The town also has great shopping, quailty items like pottery and linens for good prices. It was one of the highlights of my trip to France. I just adored it and plan to return.

Beautiful Medieval Architecture

There is the upper town, which is Medieval and the lower town which appears to be 18th-19th century. The upper town is very quaint, with narrow cobblestone streets and cute shops.The lower town has more shops, restaurants and busy streets. Both are very nice. The lower section also has the Roman Ruins and the Old Abbey.

The town is surrounded by lovely scenery

The old Abbey located in the lower part of town is very pretty. You get a great view of it from the Post office parking lot, which is where this photo was taken.

• Pros:Lovely town with few tourists, and the locals are very sweet and friendly
  • Cons:Absolutely no cons that I could see
  • In a nutshell:What a find!
  • Last visit to Vaison-la-Romaine: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2004

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Looks wonderful! Looking forward to discovering places like this when we visit in 2011. Can't wait!! Cheers, Ann.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 9:40 AM

We'll be taking my daughter to France in a couple of years - we'll have to consider this perfectly charming town! Wonderful photos! We'll watch out for those Mistrals - after all they made Van Gogh crazy...

• Dogfriendly's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 4:59 PM

Love the way you frame your photos. We went there last week on our honeymoon. Highlight of 16 days in Southern France. Stayed in Creset at Mas de Magali, Malaucène, an undiscovered jewel. Tom

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2005 at 5:13 AM

Ahhh, you have hit on my ideal vacation in France. Exactly the kinds of things I'm looking for. Thank you so much. I'm anxious to read all of your pages now.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2005 at 12:43 PM

Ah la Provence, I even can smell the lavender. What a pity you lost so many pics. They must have been so many good souvenirs. Didn't you try a recover y ?

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 12:59 PM

Really charming pages, Elissa :) Your photographs bring out the wonderful quaintness of Vaison really well. P.S. - was the medieval castle on your HP featured in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves? Just a wild guess!! Ciao...

• inconnu's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2004 at 3:49 PM

I will visit this town soon ! I like your dog.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2004 at 2:28 PM

Great page Elissa with superb pictures! Too bad you lost so many photos! I have never visited Vaison as it is too close from home! Shame! In sept 92, they had a kind of flash flood with 37 death and a lot of damage.

• MarvintheMartian's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 10:04 AM

I had the same problem with a flash card in Vegas - the machine transfered the data, lost it and then wiped the card - nightmare! Someone did a recovery on the card and recovered a few pictures, it was a real pain! You've some really lovely pictures here!

• annebrasil's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2004 at 2:48 AM

Hi, thanks for your tips, I wrote it down and will definitely visit all those places! I'll tell you my experiences later! bye anne

Badges & Stats in Vaison-la-Romaine

Have you been to Vaison-la-Romaine?