"Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad)- Rodina Mat'" Top 5 Page for this destination Volgograd by bobs12
Volgograd Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 148 photos
No trip to Volgograd could be complete without going to see 'Rodina Mat' otherwise known as 'Mamaev Kurgan', aka 'Zhenshina s mechom' (woman with a sword- stress on the -om)
If you hear Russians talking about a big Soviet statue of a woman with a ball, don't be too confused. They're talking about Rodina Mat (mother of Russia), it just so happens that 'ball' and 'sword' sound the same in russian when declined into the instrumental.
Okay, enough of the grammar lesson- enjoy the picture.
On your way up to Rodina Mat, you have to stop and take a look at this statue. You can walk right up to it, but you have to cross some stepping stones in a pool.
The statue is of a woman holding a dying soldier, and the look of pain and pity captured in her face is quite moving.
I'll have to update this when I find out the proper name for this statue- maybe sommeone will remind me?
On the way up the hill to Rodina Mat, you should go through the tunnel opening into the hillside. Inside is a cavernous monument to the battle. Its walls inside are covered with the names of people who died in the battle. A very humbling experience and worth the trip to Volgograd in itself.
If you have time, you must go to the Stalingrad museum. The panorama is stunning, and it's worth paying for a camera... more travel advice
If you're planning to visit Volgograd and stay for a while, you're probably going to teach English. In which case this... more travel advice
bobs12's Related Pages
Volgograd Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tsaritsin, Stalingrad, Volgorgad..."
- "A great trip to Volgograd!!!"
- "Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad)- Rodina Mat'"
- "The Hero City of Volgograd"
- "Russian X-treme: Feel a Cossack!"
- "City that remembers The second WW"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Volgograd
- Hotels in Volgograd
- Transportation in Volgograd
- Nightlife in Volgograd
- Restaurants in Volgograd
- Warnings and Dangers in Volgograd
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Volgograd
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Volgograd?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volgograd
Photos in VolgogradSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volgograd Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Island of Mull Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Finland Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Velikiy Novgorod Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Valga Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Porvoo Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Klaukkala Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Poland Intro, 1 review, 2 photos