"Mineral de Pozos" Pozos by Royal63
Pozos Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 20 photos
Mineral de Pozos is very near the center of Mexico, about 185 miles (300km) north of Mexico City and in the northeast corner of the central state of Guanajuato.
It is part of a chain of mountains rich in minerals that extend south from the state of Hidalgo to Real de Catorce in the state of San Luis Potosi in the north. The terrain is sedimentary and volcanic dating from the Upper Jurassic to recent times. It is mostly covered with Caliche in places 16 feet (5 meters) thick.
Although it is south of the Tropic of Cancer, it has a temperate climate owing to its altitude -- 2,305 meters (7,562 feet) above sea level. Temperatures are pleasant in summer to cold in winter. Although at one time it was covered with forests, today is is characterized as semi arid high chapparel desert.
In its day it was a very important city but for much of the late Twentieth Century Pozos has been abandoned -- A ghost town -- without many inhabitatants and no industry. In 1982, then President Lopez-Portillo declade Mineral de Pozos a National Historical Treasure. Today it is experiencing a renaissance due to artists who are moving to Pozos and tourists who are seeking a different experience.
And for those of you that have not seen Pozos, it is an adventure! Approx. 2-3,000 people live there now. Artists enjoy it, a couple hotel or Bed & Breakfast places are open, you can take a tour of the city with a guide or on your own or take a tour of a mine. I had a great time driving around. When you go to San Miguel de Allende, you have to see Pozos.
- Pros:Not as hot in the summer, less crowded and easy-going lifestyle.
- Cons:Not many jobs available if you plan to stay awhile.
- In a nutshell:Cute little town, definitely should stay here a couple days.
Driving around, we saw the usual brick or cement homes, so it was strange to see a home behind a brick wall, with this... more travel advice
Wish I knew what this was, but it sure was neat. It was located close to that large school or whatever it was. I was... more travel advice
Royal63's Related Pages
Pozos Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pozos
- Hotels in Pozos
- Transportation in Pozos
- Restaurants in Pozos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pozos
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Pozos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pozos
Photos in PozosSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 25 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Miguel de Allende Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pozos Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Sedona Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Grand Canyon Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Loleta Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 3 photos