"My first trip to Mexico! An incredible journey!" Top 5 Page for this destination San Miguel de Allende by Royal63

San Miguel de Allende Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 285 photos

Watch your step!

San Miguel de Allende is a grand old colonial city, situated in the center of Mexico, in the state of Guanajuato. 145,000 people call this city their home. Don't be surprised if you see gringos (an American). It is becoming a popular retirement home for us Americans. Part of my family just bought a home there this month.
The great part about San Miguel is the archeological monuments that still stand. The majority were constructed between 900 and 1100 AD.
.As you walk around San Miguel de Allende, make sure you watch where you walk since the road & stones are uneven. Also wear comfortable walking shoes. Often you are so busy looking around that you don't pay attention to the road, or traffic. It's an awesome city to see. You never know what buildings are around the corner.

I recently returned from San Miguel, Dec. 18-27, 2004. I will be returning May 10-17, 2005. Would love to meet anyone that lives in the area!

The plane

This is the plane that flew me out of California, into BJX- Leon airport. Here we are getting back on the plane after a brief stop in Zacatecas to pick up more passengers. They also checked our passports.
You also have another option of flying into Mexico City, but you would need to take a 4 hour bus/shuttle ride to SMA.

There are also other options. Mexicana is a red eye flight, so you get to Leon faster, but we are taking day flights from now on.

A familiar site in San Miguel de Allende

I am not sure of the name of this church or temple. It is located on Canal street, about a block away from the Jardin Principal. Almost every street you walk or drive down, you will most likely spot an old building, church or monument. It's breathtaking. You will never be bored here.

• Pros:People are very nice, everything is inexpensive and the weather is great!
  • Cons:The water filter system needs to be worked on.
  • In a nutshell:Great place to visit, or retire in. Very colorful city. Many things to see and do here.
  • Last visit to San Miguel de Allende: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 15, 2005

• ciaobella55's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I'm going to San Miguel for Santa Semana. I know what you mean about the temptation of buying property, I did the same on a whim at Playa del Carmen. So far it's worked out well. It's a much simpler life than in many oher countries, and that can't be bad.

• LindaW_1950's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2005 at 3:54 PM

Hello Susan...gosh, how lucky I was to stumble on VT (just joined) and your page is setting the stage so nicely for my first trip ..4 months! in lovely San Miguel...any info on the hot springs? ~ Linda

• VdV's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 1:23 PM

My mom and I at at El Palacio Chino this week during our stay in SMA...the food was better than I expected. The courtyard setting was just as you described it....quite nice! We enjoyed the relaxed nature of SMA and your tips are right on!

• cowboy8's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 5:35 AM

Hello Susan, Great page, you really brought back memories of my stay in San Miguel. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2004 at 12:56 PM

I bet taking a Home & Garden tour in any foreign country would be very interesting - I'd never thought of that! How great that you have family here now!

• Sally_chen's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2004 at 11:15 PM

Hi Susan, I heard from my friend that many Amercian live in Mexico after retirement. Now I see why do they love here! Thanks for sharing!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2004 at 9:44 AM

Susan, it looks like you had a wonderful trip to San Miguel de Allende. It IS a wonderful city, isn't it? Great pages.

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2004 at 3:12 PM

It was great to meet you in San Miguel Susan. You are really fast with building your fantastic page ;o) Great pics and info...

• ephobius's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2004 at 3:51 PM

I like Gansito, but haven't had one since a couple of years... Gansito, gansito, que rico pastelito! Recueeeerdame!! (TV ad jingle)

• May 25, 2004 at 10:53 PM

Susan a wonderful page.

Royal63

“Life's too short- take time to travel!”

Badges & Stats in San Miguel de Allende

Have you been to San Miguel de Allende?