"How the West was Once" Virginia City by cpiers47
Virginia City Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 63 photos
Virginia City is Montana 100+ years ago. I first visited it only a few weeks after moving to Montana in 2004 and return probably once a year. It seems like I'm always hosting extended family (many with children) and it's one of the first places I recommend. Yes, it's full of tourists, but with only 100 year-round residents, everyone's a tourist. Yes, it's slightly cliche. But there's something very cool about the whole place.
The main street is really only a few blocks long, but lined with shops and historical buildings. Many of the buildings (most, in fact) have been restored to their "original" condition from the late 1800s. In some cases, tourists peer through the windows to see restored interiors, but in many cases, there's the chance walk into a building and look around. Reserve your tickets for the night's show (there are two theatres in town) and buy a bag of taffy at the Cousin's Candy Store. . .then, spend a few hours browsing the stores and reading the historical listings. It makes for a nice afternoon.
Just a mile or so down the road is another "Old West" town - Nevada City. It is another "ghost" town from the 1800s but is set up more like a park than a town. VT doesn't have a listing for Nevada City, so I've put together a travelogue about it with this page.
Oh, and I posted a video of some of the area children dressed in 1800s clothing and playing games as a part of the rainy Memorial Day weekend. There were also a trail ride and other events.
This tiny restaurant only has three tables but is a perfect place to take a break from the day. We squeezed ourselves... more travel advice
cpiers47's Related Pages
Virginia City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wild Wild West"
- "Virginia City, MT"
- "How the West was Once"
- "Labor Day week in Virginia and Neveda City"
- "Step Back in time"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Virginia City
- Nightlife in Virginia City
- Restaurants in Virginia City
- Shopping in Virginia City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Virginia City
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Virginia City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virginia City
Photos in Virginia CitySee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montana Intro, 3 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bozeman Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Fountain Hills Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riomaggiore Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roundstone Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos