"Inis Mor" Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore by cpiers47
Inishmore Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 331 photos
We spent just one night on Inis Mor but had the chance to explore a good portion of the island by bike and on foot. Our bed and breakfast was exceptional and our time here was a much-desired break from the busy city of Galway.
Although we were only there for a day, I loved the following:
Dun Aengus - 4,000 year old stone fort with breathtaking (and heartstopping) views of the sea
Seven Churches - ancient churches and cemetary overlooking the east coast of the island
Kilronan - the main town, complete with tourist shops, hotels and pubs
Kilmurvey - a much smaller village perfect for a respite from the crowds
The Coast Road - a wonderful way to see the island on bike or foot
As is true on any island that attracts tourists, an overnight stay gives you a chance to see what that place is really like. We were able to see Dun Aengus almost on our own - a bit dangerous if the winds had been high! We biked to some of the other sites on the island after many of the tourists had left on the last ferry and were rewarded by quiet villages and empty roads.
If Once You Have Slept on an Island
If once you have slept on an island
You'll never quite be the same;
You may look as you looked the day before
And go by the same old name.
You may bustle about in street and shop,
You may sit at home and sew,
But you'll see blue water and wheeling gulls
Wherever your feet may go.
You may chat with the neighbors of this and that
And close to your fire keep
But you'll hear ship whistle and lighthouse bell
And tides beat through your sleep.
Oh, you won't know why, and you can't say how
Such a change upon you came,
But - once you've slept on an island
You'll never quite be the same.
- Pros:"Beautiful sights and a feeling of being somewhere "away""
- In a nutshell:"Inis Mor is a must for any traveler looking to see real Ireland"
When we were in Kilmurvey, this was the only place to get food in the evening (other than the expensive dinner at our... more travel advice
There are only a few options on the island, but we weren't disappointed. Having come off the ferry from Rossaveal, we... more travel advice
cpiers47's Related Pages
Inishmore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inishmore, a step back in time?"
- "Inis Mor"
- "Inis Mór - Inishmore"
- "EX TEMPORE"
- "Inis Mor"
- "The Aran Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Inishmore
- Hotels in Inishmore
- Transportation in Inishmore
- Nightlife in Inishmore
- Restaurants in Inishmore
- Shopping in Inishmore
- Warnings and Dangers in Inishmore
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Inishmore
- 11 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Inishmore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Inishmore
Photos in InishmoreSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montana Intro, 3 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bozeman Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Fountain Hills Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riomaggiore Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roundstone Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
Latest Inishmore hotel reviews
- Mainistir House Hostel
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013