"We will be back!" Grenadines by LisaMJ

Grenadines Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 150 photos

We were lucky enough to visit the Grenadines as part of a day trip from our honeymoon in St Lucia.

This info is also in my St Lucia travel page.

The day trip was about $250 each, but well worth it, and good value in my opinion.

You catch a prop plane over to Union in the Grenadines. As we waited at the small airport, a rather old and knackered plane was outside. I joked to my husband "Ha Ha, Imagine if that was our plane". We seriously thought it was an abandoned plane!! Low and behold, we were lead out to the said plane!! There was a single seat each side of the 'aircraft', with the aisle in the middle. My husband and I sat on opposite sides, and held hands for dear life ;-)

That was a pretty quiet flight I tell you, I think everyone was as apprehensive as me about the state of the plane! As we took off, this mist filled the cabin - which turned out to be the aircon I think.

As we landed in the Grenadines, a young boy no more than 14 attempted to open the door. Nothing. A man tried to help him. Nothing. After about 5 mins of them trying to let us out - another passenger piped up "They've forgotten the tin opener". My goodness he was right! We eventually got out onto solid ground!

We joined the catmaran for the day, cruising different islands for snorkelling, sunbathing etc.

At one stop, we saw lots of sea turtles, which was the highlight of the snorkelling for me. All the crew joined in the fun, helping us search out certain sealife.

All the beaches were amazing, much better than St Lucias to my eye.

The highlight for me was a stop at Palm Island - which is also a hotel (part of Elite Island Resorts chain). This island is so secluded, beautiful, tranquil. It's an adults only hotel I believe, and all inclusive.

The beach was stunning, like something you'd see in the Maldives!

Well worth the day trip, and certianly worth a holiday day if you want peace and a rustic dream. It's on our 'to do ' list! And is also a good twin centre idea - perhaps a livley hotel in Barbados for the first week, and Palm Island the second week. Flight between the two islands are quite regular, and you'll get the best of both worlds.

• Pros:Most beautiful beaches
  • Cons:Isolated if thats not what you are looking for...
  • In a nutshell:A rustic dream
  • Last visit to Grenadines: Jun 2002
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2004

Comments

LisaMJ

“If you are standing still you are going backwards”

Badges & Stats in Grenadines

Have you been to Grenadines?

Latest Activity in Grenadines