"Vieques - the best Eco-tourist destination" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Vieques by liqdstar

Isla de Vieques Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 91 photos

I took a trip in the beginning of August to relax after summer school/summer internship/writing competition..and all that other fun fun law school stuff...

The island is SO amazing. It's incredibly beautiful and untouched..pelicans dive down in the water a few feet from you, wild horses roam free and the biobay is incredible!!! It is one of my favorite destinations by far, and I just hope that the island remains as beautiful as it is now and does not become destroyed by the newly growing tourism industry.

We met so many people who told us stories of how they vacationed in Vieques and loved it so much that they decided to move there! After a trip, you'll understand why.

We rented a small 4x4 to get around the island...you absolutely have to rent a car here or be stranded at your hotel! Sun Bay, Media Luna and Navio Beach are accessible by regular roads, but the remainder of the beaches (the old Navy territorries) are only accessible by rocky dirt roads, so you need a pretty sturdy car!!
Isabel Segunda is the main town, there's a bank, bakery, lots of restaurants, and the ferry stop there.
In Esperanza there is a strip of restaurants and bars.

Beaches!!

This island has the most amazing beaches!!! My favorite is Red Beach, the sand is super soft and the water is amazingly clear. I preffered it to Sun, since it's quieter and more like being on your own island. We went during the low tourist season, so we had the beaches almost to ourselves...which was amazing! !

Most of the beaches don't have food stands so bring a snack!

• Pros:Beautiful, untouched beaches, Bio-bay, incredibly friendly people
  • Cons:Mosquitos, petty theft, restaurants close early
  • In a nutshell:Best Island i have ever visited
  • Last visit to Isla de Vieques: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 28, 2006

Travelogues (1)

liqdstar

“Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing”

Badges & Stats in Isla de Vieques

Have you been to Isla de Vieques?

Latest Activity in Isla de Vieques