"Cozumel" Isla Cozumel by grkboiler
Isla Cozumel Travel Guide: 583 reviews and 1,483 photos
Ever since Jacques Cousteau made its reefs famous all over the world, Cozumel became one of the top destinations in the world for water sports enthusiasts. Its reefs are rated by many second only to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
Only 3% of the 189 square mile island has been developed leaving much to be explored by the more adventurous tourist. It is mainly a flat island with some beautiful beaches empty of tourists, some swamps and lagoons, hidden coves, and a jungly interior.
To me, it is a beautiful island paradise that has been overcommercialized and overcrowded by tourists from cruise ships. There is much to see besides the reefs, including Mayan ruins, beaches with crystal clear waters, and the main town of San Miguel (see my San Miguel page for tips specific to San Miguel).
My advice - rent a scooter or a car and see the island. Trust me, it will pay for itself. Don't limit yourself to San Miguel or snorkeling at 1 reef. See the island. It is not that big and the whole thing can be seen in 1 day.
A quick note - US Dollars are widely accepted in Cozumel and all of my prices on this page are quoted in US Dollars.
- Pros:Safe, friendly, beautiful
- Cons:Way too many cruise ships
- In a nutshell:A paradise overrun by tourists from cruise ships
Cozumel has many beautiful beaches all around the island. Many beaches offer water sports equipment available for... more travel advice
My advice is to rent a scooter or a car to get around the island. If you plan on seeing more than just San Miguel, it... more travel advice
grkboiler's Related Pages
Isla Cozumel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coz: Going with the flow (of the Yucatan Current)"
- "ISLA COZUMEL"
- "Dive In"
- "Western Caribbean Cruise"
- "A nice day trip from Playa del Carmen"
- "An Island to see and Shop"
- "Snorkelling Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Cozumel
- Hotels in Isla Cozumel
- Transportation in Isla Cozumel
- Nightlife in Isla Cozumel
- Restaurants in Isla Cozumel
- Shopping in Isla Cozumel
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Cozumel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Cozumel
- 12 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Isla Cozumel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Cozumel
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 110 reviews, 135 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 111 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 87 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 82 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 50 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues