"Indy" Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis by grkboiler

Indianapolis Travel Guide: 537 reviews and 916 photos

Indianapolis is one of the biggest and fastest growing cities in the US with a population of over 800,000, making it the 12th largest city in America. It is the auto racing capitol of the world, the capitol of Indiana, and home to the world's largest single-day event - the Indianapolis 500 - and the largest Formula 1 race. The world's largest children's museum is also located here, along with a great zoo.

Indianapolis is known as the "Crossroads of America" because more interstate highways pass through Indianapolis than any other US city. Half of the population of the US lives within a day's drive of Indy.

Museums, sporting events, cultural events, parks, shopping, historical sites, and memorials are all available in Indianapolis, along with some good restaurants. The friendly people make it a great city to visit.

I live about 3 hours from Indianapolis and have traveled there for work, sporting events, and festivals (and I dated a girl from here once). When I was at school at Purdue about an hour away, it was nice going to Indy to let loose a little and get my mind off school.

I go to the Formula 1 race every year, but have never been to the 500 yet (only time trials). This is a quiet city in my opinion, but there is plenty to see and do if you stay for a long weekend.

I still have plenty of things to see in this city, so when I go back I will check out more.

• Pros:friendly, clean, plenty to do besides racing events
  • Cons:still lacks some things a big city should have
  • In a nutshell:nice place to spend a long weekend
  • Last visit to Indianapolis: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2005

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 3:36 PM

Nice page on Indianapolis, someday I'll convince the hubby that it is OK to go there! Love your opening pic :-)

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 3:45 AM

Great page on Indianaopolis... seems like a very happening place!! Your pic on the intro page is really cool!! NIce page!!

• yumi53's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 9:19 AM

Great info for the capital city of your home state :) I have worked with a publisher from here for a long time, never knowing how it looks like..hehe.. nice page :)

Badges & Stats in Indianapolis

Have you been to Indianapolis?

Latest Activity in Indianapolis