"Indy" Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis by grkboiler
Indianapolis Travel Guide: 573 reviews and 1,060 photos
Indianapolis is one of the biggest and fastest growing cities in the US with a population of over 800,000, making it the 12th largest city in America. It is the auto racing capitol of the world, the capitol of Indiana, and home to the world's largest single-day event - the Indianapolis 500 - and the largest Formula 1 race. The world's largest children's museum is also located here, along with a great zoo.
Indianapolis is known as the "Crossroads of America" because more interstate highways pass through Indianapolis than any other US city. Half of the population of the US lives within a day's drive of Indy.
Museums, sporting events, cultural events, parks, shopping, historical sites, and memorials are all available in Indianapolis, along with some good restaurants. The friendly people make it a great city to visit.
I live about 3 hours from Indianapolis and have traveled there for work, sporting events, and festivals (and I dated a girl from here once). When I was at school at Purdue about an hour away, it was nice going to Indy to let loose a little and get my mind off school.
I go to the Formula 1 race every year, but have never been to the 500 yet (only time trials). This is a quiet city in my opinion, but there is plenty to see and do if you stay for a long weekend.
I still have plenty of things to see in this city, so when I go back I will check out more.
- Pros:friendly, clean, plenty to do besides racing events
- Cons:still lacks some things a big city should have
- In a nutshell:nice place to spend a long weekend
Every September, usually the first weekend after Labor Day on Friday and Saturday, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church... more travel advice
Slippery Noodle Inn is a blues club that claims to be the oldest bar in Indiana. It has a colorful history, being a part... more travel advice
grkboiler's Related Pages
Indianapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "INDIANAPOLIS: Artist, Athlete, Historian, Patiot"
- "The Circle City"
- "indianapolis, in"
- "Fast, yet Friendly City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Indianapolis
- Hotels in Indianapolis
- Transportation in Indianapolis
- Nightlife in Indianapolis
- Restaurants in Indianapolis
- Shopping in Indianapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Indianapolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Indianapolis
- 42 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Indianapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Indianapolis
Photos in IndianapolisSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 110 reviews, 135 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 111 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 87 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 82 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 50 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues