"O /\ Y M TT I A" Olympia by grkboiler
Olympia Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 510 photos
Yes! There IS a modern Olympia! But I'm not here to talk about that. People don't travel all the way to Olympia to see a couple of crappy souvenir shops and overpriced restaurants.
The real attraction is one of the most sacred sites in the entire world and the birthplace of the Olympic Games. The 1st official games took place in 776 BC in honor of the almighty Zeus, but athletic events had been held in Olympia for centuries before that.
The games were once open only to Greek citizens, but would later include Romans (do you think world domination had any say in it?). They continued uninterrupted up until 394 when Emperor Theodosius I banned the games for being a pagan ritual. Theodosius II then had the temples of Olympia destroyed in 426, with no appreciation for history or culture. Not much is well preserved, but this lets your imagination run wild while you walk through the ruins.
French archaeologists began excavations of the site in 1829. Many artifacts were looted and taken to the Louvre, where they are still on display. Excavation was later continued by the Germans 45 years later and is continued to this day by the German Institute of Archaeology in Athens, and the Ephorate of Antiquities in Olympia.
The modern games began in 1896 in Athens, and have been held every 4 years in different cities throughout the world except during WWI and WWII. They returned to their ancestral home of Greece in 2004 in one of the proudest moments in all of Greek history. I can't explain what it meant to Greeks around the world, and to watch the Opening Ceremonies in a room full of other Greeks - there was not one dry eye in the house. It was a moment of victory, unity, and pride. I hope to see the Olympic Games in Greece once more in my lifetime.
One last thing you should know is that Ancient Olympia was not a city. It was a sanctuary and place of sport.
I have been to Olympia twice - once in 1994 and again in 1996. I am combining pictures from both trips in this page.
Now, I understand its been a few years since I last set foot there, but honestly, I don't think much has changed. I have to admit it is tough to remember what is in each picture but I will try to explain as best I can. Hopefully if I return to Greece anytime soon I will make another stop in Olympia.
- Pros:Sacred site, very interesting to walk through the ruins
- Cons:It can get HOT!
- In a nutshell:Go there and walk out onto the track for the 1st time, then come back and tell me how it felt...
The pediments from some of the temples, including the Temple of Zeus, are on display in the museum. more travel advice
The statue of this bull was found at the Exedra (Nymphaeum). more travel advice
Written Dec 8, 2004
More views of Olympia
Written Dec 8, 2004
Olympia's Archaeological Museum
grkboiler's Related Pages
Olympia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Olympia Arhea and Modern"
- "Where Olympism was born, 2800 years ago"
- "Much ado about (almost) nothing!"
- "Olympia from the Classical period"
- "The Birthplace of the Olympics"
- "Paul's Olympian Page"
- "O /\ Y M TT I A"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olympia
- Hotels in Olympia
- Transportation in Olympia
- Nightlife in Olympia
- Restaurants in Olympia
- Shopping in Olympia
- Warnings and Dangers in Olympia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olympia
- 28 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Olympia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olympia
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 110 reviews, 135 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 111 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 87 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 82 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 50 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues