"E/\EY8EPIA H 8ANATOS!!!" Kalavrita by grkboiler
Kalavrita Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 68 photos
Eleftheria i Thanatos! Freedom or Death! These words represent the struggle of the Greek people to become free from 400 years of Turkish occupation. They were proclaimed near Kalavrita at the monastery of Agia Lavra.
Kalavrita has experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. The village is also the location of a very brutal holocaust still fresh in the minds of its residents. During WWII every single male in the village aged 12 and up were slaughtered by the Nazis in retaliation for the murder of some Nazi soldiers by the Greek resistance. The total killed were 1436.
Kalavrita is now a very nice town with a peaceful atmosphere. It is also a popular ski resort.
A reenactment of the discovery of the icon of the Panagia is displayed in the cave at Mega Spileo. You can see Ag.... more travel advice
The icon of the Panagia (Virgin Mary) can be found inside the church at Mega Spileo. It was made by St. Luke of wax and... more travel advice
grkboiler's Related Pages
Kalavrita Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The historical region of Kalavrita"
- "E/\EY8EPIA H 8ANATOS!!!"
- "the beauty of kalavryta"
- "Kalavrita, a place with great history"
- "Kalavrita, a small village on the Peloponnesos"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalavrita
- 12 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kalavrita?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalavrita
Photos in KalavritaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 110 reviews, 135 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 111 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 87 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 82 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 50 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues