"Camping at Kakadu" Kakadu National Park by grkboiler
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide: 274 reviews and 971 photos
My trip to Kakadu started in Darwin at about 6 AM. I decided to take a 3-day camping tour with Wilderness 4WD Adventures. Our tour guide, Glen, picked up a group of 8 of us (6 from England, 1 from Australia, and myself) and we headed off for a rough, physical camping trip at Kakadu.
Our first stop was a crocodile cruise at the Corroboree Billabong. There were many species of birds and crocodiles along the way. Glen caught our dinner while we were on the cruise - a huge Barramundi fish. After scaling and gutting it, he nearly made one of the girls puke by ripping out its eyeball and eating it. Thats not something you see everyday.
We started to head to Kakadu, and once inside the park, we took a hike to Ubirr Rock and saw a fantastic view of the park and floodlands. It was nothing like I have ever seen before! It is so beautiful that it seems like you are looking into a painting. Glen then pointed out that a very famous scene from "Crocodile Dundee" was shot from the very top of the rock. After this, we looked at a few Aboriginal cave paintings that were hundreds of years old, and learned the history behind some of them. We then headed off to the campsite and got a good night of sleep.
In the morning, we took a very grueling hike to the top of Twin Falls, climbing up a mountain and then scaling about 20 feet of rocks before climbing down more rocks to get to the falls. It was worth it! This was probably the most rewarding part of the trip. Once at the top, we swam for about an hour and took in a great view. We climbed back down and swam in the river (with freshwater crocodiles, or so we were told) to the bottom of the falls where most of us took a nap on the beach. After the climb and the swim, we needed it! We then headed back to the campsite, had dinner, and enjoyed the beautiful night - until a huge poisonous cane toad crawled into my sleeping bag. No worries - Glen whacked it with a shovel a few times and threw it into the fire.
The next day, we woke up and headed to Jim Jim Falls. We swam in the very cold water, went back to the campsite, had lunch, cleaned up, and took a drive to an Aboriginal Cultural Center and then to a termite mound. Then it was back to Darwin for the end of a great trip, and the best shower I have ever taken. We all met up at The Vic for some beer and had a great time.
At Corroboree Billabong, you will have the chance to spot a huge saltwater crocodile. These beasts have been around... more travel advice
Twin Falls isnt just 1 straight drop down into the plunge pool. There are multiple levels involved. From the top, you... more travel advice
grkboiler's Related Pages
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kakadu and Arnhem Land with "VT Survivor""
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "Darwin Survivor Outback Trip 2008"
- "Magnificent Wetlands - Birdlife, Crocodiles"
- "Kakadu National Park - Australia's Best"
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "Kakadu National Park - A Special Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kakadu National Park
- Hotels in Kakadu National Park
- Transportation in Kakadu National Park
- Restaurants in Kakadu National Park
- Shopping in Kakadu National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kakadu National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kakadu National Park
- 18 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kakadu National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kakadu National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 110 reviews, 135 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 111 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 87 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 82 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 50 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues