"Auckland" Auckland by grkboiler
Auckland Travel Guide: 1,058 reviews and 2,348 photos
Auckland is a fast-paced cosmopolitan city with plenty to see. It is home to the most popular sailing race in the world, The America's Cup, and has some great architecture with modern skyscrapers that are very creatively designed. Auckland is also the location to the tallest structure in New Zealand and the southern hemisphere - the Skytower. With an exciting waterfront and a very walkable downtown, Auckland has plenty to offer.
Auckland was the first stop of my 8 day trip to New Zealand. I flew in from Melbourne and stayed here for 2 1/2 days. I got a good feel for the downtown area and the waterfront, but I didn't see nearly enough of Auckland's surrounding areas. This gives me a great excuse to come back.
Auckland was settled by the Maori in at least the 13th century. The first Europeans arrived in the 1830s and chose the site to settle because of its natural harbour. Auckland became the capital of New Zealand in 1840 and remained in charge until Wellington was named capital in 1865. It is the fastest growing city and largest industrial and commercial centre in the country.
Auckland Harbour Bridge was built between 1955 and 1959. It is 1,021m (3,350ft) long and crosses Waitemata Harbour... more travel advice
Auckland is called the City of Sails, and the marina is a good indication of why. The people of Auckland own more boats... more travel advice
grkboiler's Related Pages
Auckland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Auckland"
- "AUCKLAND - CITY OF SAILS"
- "Between Rainforest and Traffic Jam"
- "Auckland - City of Sails."
- "Auckland Area Views"
- "Auckland - City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland
- Hotels in Auckland
- Transportation in Auckland
- Nightlife in Auckland
- Restaurants in Auckland
- Shopping in Auckland
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland
- 15 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Auckland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 110 reviews, 135 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 111 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 87 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 82 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 50 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues