Cairns Things to Do Tips by grkboiler
Cairns Things to Do: 344 reviews and 728 photos
Frankland Islands Cruise & Dive runs a great tour to the uninhabited Frankland Islands. These islands are part of a national park and are located off the coast a short drive south of Cairns. It was a small group of about 100 and was mostly families - I was the only person travelling alone.
There are 2 accessible islands - Normanby and Mabel. The islands were paradise. The beach is beautiful, there is good snorkeling, and there is plenty to explore on your own. Lunch was excellent and was served by the Red Ochre Grill.
This tour is perfect for people with small children or for people who just want to relax. It cost about AU$140 for an adult, $70 for a child, or a package of $350 for a family of 2 adults and 2 children. For a little extra, they will drop you off at Russell Island and leave you there overnight for a camping trip - but you will have to bring your own supplies.
Address: 4 Shields Street, Cairns
Directions: Ground Floor, Tropical Arcade
Phone: 1 800 079 039
The Esplanade is a great place for a walk, jog, picnic, take a nap on the grass, play a sport on one of the open areas, or check out the nature. There is also a children's play area and a swimming lagoon open from 6 AM to 10 PM daily for no charge. Many of the hostels, hotels, and restaurants in town are located one one side of the street, while the other side is all open area.
Directions: Along the Cairns waterfront
You cannot come to Cairns without snorkeling or diving at the Great Barrier Reef. Passing this up would be a waste of an entire vacation.
I took a cruise on the ReefQuest run by Deep Sea Divers Den. The boat leaves at 7:30 AM and returns at 4:30 PM. You get about 4 hours of quality time to snorkel, dive, and relax in the sun. Lunch is included.
For snorkeling, it costs about AU$70 for adults and half for children. Diving lessons can be conducted and prices vary for how many dives you take. Certified Divers pay about $120 for 2 dives and $150 for 3. All equipment is included. Bring an underwater camera! You can also rent one. I used a disposable and the pictures came out great.
I signed up at the Pier Marketplace near the marina where the boat is docked.
More Reviews (12)
grkboiler's Related Pages
Cairns Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairns QLD more than a tourist city."
- "CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)"
- "Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland"
- "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- "Cairns - more than the Great Barrier Reef"
- "Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns"
- "IMPREXXION: CAIRNS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairns
- Hotels in Cairns
- Transportation in Cairns
- Nightlife in Cairns
- Restaurants in Cairns
- Shopping in Cairns
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairns
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cairns
- 15 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairns
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 110 reviews, 135 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 111 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 87 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 82 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 50 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Cairns hotel reviews
- Asylum Cairns Backpacker Hostel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 20, 2013
- Cairns Reef Apartment & Motel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 28, 2013
- Cairns Girls Hostel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Cairns Queens Court
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Mid City Luxury Suites
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Dreamtime Travellers Rest
- 236 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Rainforest Grove Holiday Resort
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2012
- Regency Palms Holiday Apartments
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Cairns City Backpackers
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Cairns Beach House
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Roydon Beachfront Apartments
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Cairns Queenslander Apartments
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Cairns Beach Resort
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Heritage Cairns
- 229 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Great Barrier Reef- 40 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Atherton Tableland- 11 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Kuranda Scenic Railway- 14 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Esplanade- 11 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Green Island- 8 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Skyrail- 9 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Flecker Botanic Garden- 4 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Cape Tribulation- 13 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Kuranda- 5 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Lagoon- 6 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Cairns Things to Do