"Melbourne" Melbourne by grkboiler

Melbourne Travel Guide: 3,377 reviews and 7,601 photos

My Second Home

I spent 6 months living in Melbourne as a "student" (no comment) at RMIT University in Melbourne. Of course, I spent more time exploring and making friends than in class. I lived just outside of the city in Carlton. It was about a 10 minute walk from my door to the CBD.

Of all the places I have been, Melbourne was the hardest to leave. It has everything - culture, food, sports, shopping, you name it. It was recently named one of the most livable cities in the world, and it is easy to understand why once you live there for a while.

The things I miss most are the food, the sports, and the people. The food is incredible - you can find a restaurant for any type of food imaginable. And after you finish eating, there are plenty of places to go for entertainment and nightlife.
The sports are great - Melbourne has very avid sports fans. And the people are almost always very friendly and very enthusiastic about their city.

It is also a city loaded with museums and cultural events. The scenery is beautiful, and the beaches are very nice. There is good shopping for every taste. Finally, Melbourne is one of the safest cities in the world.

The funny thing is that there was so much that I DIDN'T do here, like Great Ocean Road, museums, the zoo, or the Dandenongs, but I really feel like I got a great sense of what Melbourne was all about just by being there so long and meeting so many people. It was much harder to readjust myself to life in the USA than it was to get comfortable in Melbourne.

• Pros:Very safe, Very clean, Never boring
  • Cons:Can see 4 seasons in 1 day
  • In a nutshell:One of the most amazing cities in the world
  • Last visit to Melbourne: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 21, 2004

• Feb 8, 2007 at 2:51 AM

I have to say that today the service (or rather lack of it) was about the worst I have ever experienced in Australia....It was quite incredible.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 4:22 AM

Gr8 reading, especially the local customs & sports travel tips Nick. How to eat meat pies & yes Melbourne is definitely not like any US city I know. Gr8 stuff mate!

• Jarra's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 10:18 PM

Your sport tips are great. Very accurate and helpful. Keep on going!

• swings's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 7:46 PM

Enjoyed reading your Melbourne pages.... going there tomorrow. From one Boilermaker to another... Go Purdue! w

• swartz18's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2004 at 12:59 PM

thanks for the 'hook turn' tip! looking forward to reading more of your tips!

• Aug 9, 2004 at 3:22 PM

Your Melbourne tips are brilliant und clever. Love the local customs page.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2004 at 9:44 PM

You're right, I wouldn't be able to stop laughing if I got into a conversation with someone telling me they 'rooted' for Collingwood - too many images

• SPW's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2004 at 9:19 PM

Hey Nick, I've lived in Melbourne all my life and enjoy it, but you make it sound a really fun place. Well done!!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2004 at 4:21 AM

I found the old jail very creepy but very interesting.

• Nov 20, 2003 at 7:25 PM

Awaiting more. Nice info on hotel.

Badges & Stats in Melbourne

Have you been to Melbourne?

Latest Activity in Melbourne