"Parramatta" Parramatta by grkboiler

Parramatta Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 178 photos

I didn't come to Parramatta to see Parramatta. I ended up here because I was following the South Melbourne Soccer Club into the Grand Final against the Woolongong Wolves.

I got on a bus along with 100 other South Melbourne faithful and my friend Lenny from Boston in Melbourne late at night. We arrived in Parramatta the next morning, had breakfast at McDonald's, and walked around town for an hour. After that, it was off to Parramatta Stadium, which is a great venue for soccer.

I met my friend Andreas on the bus (who is still a friend to this day), and since everyone on the bus was excited that supporters all the way from America came on the trip, he arranged with the club manager to get us on the field to hold the banner as the team ran onto the field. This was a great once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, and I will always remember it.

The game was exciting, with good scoring chances by both clubs. The South Melbourne fans were passionate, chanting loudly and beating drums the entire game, and drowning out the Woolongong supporters.

The outcome of the game wasn't so great, as South lost the championship 2-1, but it was one of the most memorable trips I have ever had. After the game, we jumped back on the bus and headed back to Melbourne, arriving late that same night.

It is also unfortunate that both of the teams involved are no longer part of the new Australian A-League.

• Last visit to Parramatta: Jun 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 22, 2004

Badges & Stats in Parramatta

Have you been to Parramatta?

Latest Activity in Parramatta